Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One more ignition gremlin tracked down and sorted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more ignition gremlin tracked down and sorted.

As part of my igniter interchange project I've been trying to get a fuller understanding of how the signal generator/igniter/coils work. Myfirst attempt at firing up the 750 igniter failed despite testing to see that it did work (in my 750), that the coils and signal generator were in spec. I had a niggling feeling that something was off with the wiring harness but didn't have a chance to diagnose further.

Tonight I had a look at it and I was shocked to find there was indeed an issue. With the key on I checked the connecter from the harness (i.e. the wires to the coils) and while I expected to find power on the orange,white and black/yellow I also had power on the ground......WTF?

Tracing up the harness I found all the ground connectors were powered right up and into the speedo cluster. Damn. so I pull it off and crack it open and after peeling back the insulating tubing I find one of the grey power in lines has a nick where it was rubbing on the metal frame that holds the cluster. I figure the power was shorting to this frame and shooting around the cluster to the ground leads then back out to the harness. A little electrical tape and that's sorted.

So with that out of the way I thing all the bits and pieces are in place for some spark. I ran out of time tonight but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Cheers all,
    Spyug
Working...
X