Where did this fall off of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did this fall off of...

So admittedly I was a bit in of hurry this morning and I dumped the bike on thre left side while backing out of my drive. As I was feeling like an a$$ with the bike on top of me. a little rubber piece came arounf me on the ground. I thought nothing of it and rode off to work. However, the idiot light on my dash said the brake light was not working. Inspected, and sure enough, I have a tail light but no brake off either switch.

So...could my issue be from this rubber (looks like a grommet) piece that fell off when I did?

Pics:

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Brad bk

And I've replaced all the fuses and the bulb since my laying down with my bike today.

Brad bk

Comment

As it has the wording denso on it i say a spare/lost spark plug cap boot

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
        As it has the wording denso on it i say a spare/lost spark plug cap boot
        Agreed, looks like a spark plug boot

Comment

Sorta fuel tank grommet / center stand bumper looking.

GD !! Thats a shinny side cover.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Take a look at your number 1 plug wire. I'll bet it's off of that.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Good call guys! Now how in the he!! did it come off without the wire coming off the plug?! And the bike is running on all 4. I'll have to take a closer look at the piece when I get home, but I swear it was whole. May be time for a new set of cables. Now to figure out this blasted issue with the brake light.

Brad bk

Comment

Could've been a lost one just lying around in place not visible if you're not missing one. When I got my '79 GS1000E, I noticed the tank vibrated, the rear rubber cushion was missing, so I ordered a new one. Some 1,400 miles later I got a rear flat tire, when changing it I found that cushion, sitting on top of the swing arm in front of the tire, nothing holding it there to keep it from bouncing off, and all that mileage since being replaced.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I had something similar happen with the bike when I first got it. Took off the tank and an extra one fell out. Cowboyup directed to the right plug. The only thing I can think is that someone may have pulled off the plug wire and then put it back on. (I work at an elementary school and park next to an entrance).

Now to find a wiring diagram to trace down that brake light issue. I'm suspecting a switch may be the culprit.

Brad bk

EDIT: Had a teacher verify that kids have been playing around with it. Looks like Mr. Brad is going to have to move it to the parking lot a little earlier.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                    Now to find a wiring diagram to trace down that brake light issue. I'm suspecting a switch may be the culprit.

Hope it's clear enough for you...
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                      Hope it's clear enough for you...
                      Perfect! Thanks!

Brad bk

Comment

Found it! Had a sour connection in the line at an inline fuse in the headlight bucket. It's a flippin 2 Amp fuse, though, that I don't have in my vast collection. Have to pick up a box and consider making an upgrade to blade fuses all around.

Brad bk

Comment

Ahhh yes, I think there are a couple of those "funky" fuses in the headlight bucket... always wondered what they were for.
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                            Ahhh yes, I think there are a couple of those "funky" fuses in the headlight bucket... always wondered what they were for.
                            If I didn't already have things buttoned up I'd post a pic of the other inline fuse. Looked to be a high amperage, but another shorty vs the fuses under the side panel.

Looks like "most" of my electrics are sorted. Signals are my remaining issue, but that's what hand signals are for.

Thanks for all the help!!

Brad bk

Comment

Working...
                            X