Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tip-reminder to self, replace plugs (GS1100E)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tip-reminder to self, replace plugs (GS1100E)

I had been aware of a slight miss for a while (many months?) and finally pulled the plugs.

At first I thought they were OK. The color was good but after looking closer, one gap was about .040, another .015 (rather than .024) and several electrodes were well rounded at the edges - all hard to see with "over 40" eyes.

So I invested in a $12 set of NGK D8EA's. WOW, I hadn't realized how poorly it was actually running. Life is all good again.

The old plugs had 8000 mi.

1982 GS1100EZ 29,000 mi.

Originally posted by oldsport View Post
    I had been aware of a slight miss for a while (many months?) and finally pulled the plugs.

At first I thought they were OK. The color was good but after looking closer, one gap was about .040, another .015 (rather than .024) and several electrodes were well rounded at the edges - all hard to see with "over 40" eyes.

So I invested in a $12 set of NGK D8EA's. WOW, I hadn't realized how poorly it was actually running. Life is all good again.

The old plugs had 8000 mi.

1982 GS1100EZ 29,000 mi.

You might also want to check the voltage to your coils as well. The old plug electrodes get rounded and it is harder for the spark to jump off. Since it is affecting your performance, it could be that you really have a weak spark. The weak spark could be low voltage to the coils. I would check the voltage drop between the battery (+) and the coil(+) to see how bad it is. My GS1100E was a hard starter when the voltage to the coils was 10.5V.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      You might also want to check the voltage to your coils as well. The old plug electrodes get rounded and it is harder for the spark to jump off. Since it is affecting your performance, it could be that you really have a weak spark. The weak spark could be low voltage to the coils. I would check the voltage drop between the battery (+) and the coil(+) to see how bad it is. My GS1100E was a hard starter when the voltage to the coils was 10.5V.
      I'll do that soon. Searching around here, it looks like most are using the green coils from Z1 Enterprises.

I have been totally happy with how it's running now. I guess as it deteriorates slowly over time, you get used to it and just keep going.

I didn't expect the plugs to be in quite that bad of shape in 8000 mi. - although it's been 5-6 years. I had them out maybe 2000 mi. ago when I adjusted the valves. Honestly, I might have put them back in with some of the problems already evident. It pays to take a close look!

I went through a period with electical issues - dead battery - and figured out that the regulator/rectifier/stator were the problem. I replaced those with the Rick's setup. Since then, all that has been fine.

I really like this bike and it's probably my favorite one to ride. Yes, the 2009 Harley often sits parked. The HD makes the GS feel like it's the ultimate in modern technology and advanced engineering!

Comment

Working...
      X