1983 GS550L stator issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS550L stator issue

Hi guys, I am new to this so be gentle..

I ahve a 1983 GSD550L that is having some issues. I am working on the fuel deliviery issues with the carb as can be expected but the PO also told me about some electrical issues that I will run into once I get it running again. Apparently when he first got the bike it ran great and as he had some general maintanince done on it he noticed that two wires had been poking out of the stator case since he had owned (sorry he doesn't remember what colors they were). the bike. he asked the shop to tuck them back into the case which they did but the bone heads must have grounded them out because after they did so the bike would only run for 45 min until the battery would die. The PO wound up doing a 1.5hr ride from Los Angeles to Ojai, CA by carrying an extra battery and switching it out on the side of the highway! I have a vol/ohm meter but haven't cracked the case open as I've been mostly working with the carb and fuel issues first but i want to start thinking about this issue too.

I was wondering if anybody had any leads (pun intended) as to which wires could be hanging out of the stator and allow it to run normally so that i can hunt them down and see if they're grounded when they shouldn't be. Thanks for any help you guys may have!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2011, 05:09 PM.

It's amazing what some folks will tolerate- carrying a spare battery, cuz your charging system ain't working! How about fixing it instead? You need to review the stator tests;but first, you need to pull off your stator cover and discover how the wiring looks.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The three wires that come from the stator go to your R/R to help keep it charged. I would take the stator cover off and look it over to see what's happening. Make sure you get yourself a good impact driver though.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
      X