Big time wiring problem!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big time wiring problem!!!

I have a 1982 Gs550l and I have many wiring problems. Ok so to start with, one of my coils are over heating and humming due to the ground wire on the igniter actually being hot and not ground. I cut it down to the two orange wires being the reason when they touch together (kill switch). Well when I disconnected the kill switch/starter button, the coil stopped the over heating and hummimg. I should probebly tell you I have done a few mods. Iv changed the key start to a different style key with a push button ignition switch, a toggle switch for the high and low beam lights and Iv taken off the turn signals. I got the bike with a few problems which is why im changing all these things. I despretly need this bike to run is there anyone that can help. Iv been looking at wiring diagrams and everything and Its makin me crazy lol.
    Thanks in advance.

Let me make sure this is correct: you disconnected the kill switch and are curious as to why it won't start?

Your coils heating up is perfectly normal.

Comment

Put stainless steel star washers on both sides of that ground after cleaning it. Trace out the wiring for what you are working with if you are changing switches. Everything is color coded so it shouldn't be a problem emulating the stock wiring. Do one circuit at a time.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Usually it's not the wiring but the wirer.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
          Let me make sure this is correct: you disconnected the kill switch and are curious as to why it won't start?

Your coils heating up is perfectly normal.
          No one of the coils over heats and hum when the bike isnt even running. Im asking why the ground wire on the igniter is showing 12v and the orange wires (kill switch) if there suppose to be connected or disconnected to run. ill assume it should be connected.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Usually it's not the wiring but the wirer.
          Ummm well obviously. Im asking what I did wrong not why a bike after 30 years just randomly stopped working because of a japan wiring it wrong.

Comment

I responded to your post yesterday and gave you some hints about what might be happening. Either your igniter is faulty or there is a power source shorting against a ground lead in your harness. Power should not be coming down your ground wire (obviously). I suspect the wiring in the harness is at fault.

Best place to start is by disconnecting the igniter from the harness and checking the harness plug with a circuit test lamp (key on of course).There should be 4 wires to that connector with a white, orange, black/yellow and black/white(ground) wires into it. Power should only come on the w,o,b/y wires. If you get it on the ground wire, there is a shorting in the harness.

To find the short, you will need to use the test light and probe forward on the harness to see where a power wire is "leaching" voltage to your grounds. It could be anywhere there might be a nick in a wire or a melted connector or something similar. It could be in the neighbourhood of the connectors to the gauge cluster or in the cluster itself ( as in my case).

Start with that and see what you have.

Good luck,
            Spyug

Comment

ok sound good thanks a lot Im about to do that now.

Comment

Spyug[/QUOTE]
                ok i tested the plug that goes into the ignitor and im geting like 0.12v thru black/blue, brown and green/white but on the other 3 there hot. Now when I plug it into the ignitor all wires are hot making both of my coils have positive thru all four wires. I have two of the gs500 exact year one seriel number apart so I swapped ignitiors and still the same thing. I mean they are 29years old. Is there a way to put an ohm load or something on the ignitors to test them?

Comment

Working...
                X