possible charging problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible charging problem?

well i ended up getting my old 83 750e back from the guy that bought it from me. has a dead battery so i jumped it from a non running car and when i pulled the cables off it died. would this be an indication that the charging system is in need of repair?

Nahhhh

Probably not. You can't really check the condition of your charging system without first checking out the condition of your battery. You need to charge it up and then see if it will hold a charge (off of the bike). If it doesn't, buy a new battery. If it does, put it on the bike and see if it will run well and start reliably. Try that first and see what happens.
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-12-2011, 01:19 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

...seems to me that once the bike is running, it doesn't need the battery. So, yes, if the bike dies with the jumper cables removed you have an electrical problem. Check the fuses.

Comment

Originally posted by north49 View Post
        ...seems to me that once the bike is running, it doesn't need the battery. So, yes, if the bike dies with the jumper cables removed you have an electrical problem. Check the fuses.
        Well, sorta if your charging is working right, but the R/R needs a reference point ( the battery) to decide what to do. Piester's problem points to a battery that holds so little charge that it can't keep ignition system happy.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You can guess about it, or you can do a few simple tests and know.
          Try these:
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i plan on testing the entire electrical system. i just found it odd that the bike wont run without constant power from the battery. my gsxr will run just fine without the battery in it.
            btw im not new to bike by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by Piester View Post
              i plan on testing the entire electrical system. i just found it odd that the bike wont run without constant power from the battery. my gsxr will run just fine without the battery in it.
              Your battery might be absorbing everything the charging system is pushing out and not having any leftovers.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Battery

I would still check the battery first.
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

yeah the battery thats in it is definitely shot. ill toss the one from my gsxr in it

Comment

Originally posted by Piester View Post
                    The GSXR has an alternator which puts out power all the time. A GS uses a PM generator which has a switching type R/R that literally disconnects the stator from the electrical system when it shunts or opens (series). During those times if there is no capacity (like a battery or large capacitor) to supply power, the engine will just quit.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      The GSXR has an alternator which puts out power all the time. A GS uses a PM generator which has a switching type R/R that literally disconnects the stator from the electrical system when it shunts or opens (series). During those times if there is no capacity (like a battery or large capacitor) to supply power, the engine will just quit.
                      good to know. the last time i was on this site a lot i always seemed to find the answer to my questions in your posts haha

Comment

Working...
                      X