No announcement yet.

550 Igniter interchange success!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone investigated the Megajolt? It's got to be very similar to the programmable Dyna 2000 I would say...

I know a bunch of people that have them on cars (also megasquirt for fuel injection).

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MegaJolt_Lite_Jr.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

No, I did not switch to mechanical advance

Originally posted by Mista M View Post
      Haze,

did you run a mechanical advance setup?

Comment

Try with a mechanical setup. It wont work with electronic. Im running a setup off 1979 750.
        Last edited by Mista M; 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM.
        1984 GS550ES
        Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
        4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

As I mentioned in a post yesterday, I did get it to run. It will start with choke and will idle when warm. It is firing on all cylinders and the pipes heat up fairly quickly.

It will not rev up. The signal generator is in the stock position and I haven't, as yet, slotted it to allow repositioning as suggested. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the advance but since this is controlled by the igniter, I'm not sure what could be happening.

The carbs were rebuilt prior to the igniter project so I'm fairly certain they are fine and not part of the problem but I'm now lost and in need of some direction.

Any ideas or suggestions folks?

As always I appreciate any and all input.

cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Does the 550 rotor have the same markings in the same locations as the 750?

Just wondering if the mounting plate need to be slotted in order to match the config on the 750.

Slot and do the timing thing the gurus suggested.

Oh and the tab on the rotor, is it situated at the same distance to the pickup coils as it was originally?
            If it is not exactly the same would that not produce a weaker signal to the ignitor, one that has more signifigance with an increase in RPM?
            Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

If you're positive the igniter has the built in curve than possibly it's bunk?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Pipes heating up quickly? Seems like its way retarded and using the excess fuel just to keep running.

Does it backfire or bog when you rev it?

The pickup position might look the same as the 750 does but what position is the 750 crank in conpared to the 550?

I mean if the pickup rotor is pointing straight up and down and say for argument sake the #1 piston is at tdc on the 750, IS the the 550's crankshaft in the same position with the rotor pointing in the same direction...

I guess where I'm going with this is, I think the ignition is too retarted (pipes heating up too fast)

and I'm thinking the ignitor was designed to expect the crankshaft to be in a certain position but its not.

Now that your using this ignitor setup on the 550, the crankshaft might not be aligned the same way the 750 is so the ignitor is thinking it should be firing when the #1 piston is at TDC but the 550 crank isn't aligned for the #1 piston to be at TDC, in fact its already gone past that...

Something that would help you would be a couple of pictures.

1 of the 550 with #1 piston at tdc while looking at the ignition cover side with the rotor removed (paying attention to the locating pin on the crankshaft)

And 1 of the 750 with the #1 piston at tdc looking at the same thing.

but hey if they are both ligned up the same way then my theory goes out the window

and we're back to
                If you're positive the igniter has the built in curve than possibly it's bunk?
                Last edited by Mekanix; 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM.
                Stephen.
                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

I'd also be saying timing, and I think the suggestion from Mekanix to compare the two cranks is probably a very worthwhile comparison to make and that's the only obvious way I can think of to see if there's some difference.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I would stick a timing light on there to see what is happening. Also compare the TDC mark with the piston. If you have a dwell meter it would be good to check your dwell angle as well just in case.

Comment

Well both ignitors I have work in my 750 so i doubt they are a problem.

There are no timing marks anywhere in the 550 so I can't check anything with a timing light so that leaves me checking the rotors with the #1 pistons at TDC so that's what I'll do next.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                        Well both ignitors I have work in my 750 so i doubt they are a problem.

There are no timing marks anywhere in the 550 so I can't check anything with a timing light so that leaves me checking the rotors with the #1 pistons at TDC so that's what I'll do next.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Spyug
                        Could you try making your own TDC marks and then see how close you are with the timing light?

Comment

Are you sure the cam chain is timed correctly?
                          Even off four degrees it should take throttle.
                          Are the slides lifting on the carbs?
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well I guess I never listened when my old dad used to say, "when in doubt, read the instructions". I should have read my 750 manual because it clearly shows the timing mark on the rotor that aligns with the pickup coil for 1&4 (left side in the pic above). I don't know how I missed that. Such a stupid oversight. I remember now checking this on my 750 Kat build last year so I should have checked it on this project. Just dumb on my part

As suggested by my good buds Mekanix and Pete I found TDC on the #1 cylinders of both the 550 and the 750 and compared the rotor positions.

Just as they thought, the position is off on the 550. The timing mark should line up exactly with the pickup coil but it is actually a few degrees behind. The "contact" on the rotor is just on the pickup at TDC. The mark comes once the contact clears the pickup. The plate will need to be slotted and it turned counterclockwise to bring it into correct alignment.

Sorry but I don't have access to my camera at the moment to show but I will record this in my tutorial once I publish (and when the damn thing runs right).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

Cheers,
                            Spyug

Comment

On the subject of carbs, I did notice that cylinders 3 and 4 are not firing properly. There is ample spark but seemingly no gas is going in as the plugs are sparkling clean. 1&2 are both sooty so likely getting too much gas. I guess I'm going to need to pull them off and clean them again. Dang.

Well I guess we're finding the issues....now all I need to do is fix them.

Thanks again,
                              Spyug

Comment

may I politely suggest ou change the needle valve o-rings,
                                Just got finished pushing mine 1.5 miles in 2 hours.

two people stopped to offer asssitance
                                2nd guy said hey maybe its you carb o-rings

Comment

Working...
                                X