Relay wiring for Coils and Dyna S ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay wiring for Coils and Dyna S ignition

I want to have the Dyna coils and the Dyna S ignition powered through a relay (as per multiple recommendations on this site).
    I have done heaps of reading and think I'm ready to do it but it wouldn't hurt if you could let me know if I'm on the right track. I also want to do away with unnecessary wires and have the job done as neatly as possible.

I already have ready a new positive wire comming off the RR/batt through a fuse so that's sorted.

My questions are related to other wires to/from the relay and to/from Dyna S.
    1. If I open up the main harness under the tank can I use the orange/white wire coming from the kill switch to "trigger" the relay?
    2. Can I then remove the two orange/white wires that used to go to the coils as well as the rest of the orange/white wire that used to go to the stock igniter?
    3. As I have the wiring harness opened up, can I use the ground wire formerly for the ignitor now for the relay?
    4. Finally, can I altogether remove the stock ignition signal wires (black/yellow and white) from the wiring harness and connect signal wires from the Dyna S directly to the Dyna coils?
    Any other comments appreciated. Cheers
    Last edited by psyguy; 05-15-2011, 06:08 AM.
    GS850GT

Yes in all cases. Only one I haven't tried personally is number 4...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You can do that. However, may I ask why you want to open up the harness and start removing wires? For what you want to do it is not necessary to cut any wires, and you can make it a generic relay that can also power other things such as horns, grip heaters, GPS, accessory port, etc.
      I have done two generic relays and they are extremely simple to implement without butchering the harness or cutting any wires. And the kill switch functions as designed without touching it.
      Just asking, it's your bike and you can certainly do as you wish.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        However, may I ask why you want to open up the harness and start removing wires?
        Hot so much removing, but utilizing what I can and discarding the surpluss:

I want to re-wrap the harnes anyway, to do away with the old electrical tape that's there now.
        I have a new fuse box so the harness had to be unwrapped to wire all that in anyway.
        I want to add the new power wire to the coils inside the harness so it's tidy.
        I want to avoid the connector at the coils (as wires can be attached directly to the Dyna coils).
        I want to position the relay in place of the stock ignitor on the electrics board and don't want to have unnecessarily long wires around.
        The bike is otherwise in mint condition and deserves a tidy (rather than just functional) elec harness.
        Some people call me a perfectionist but sometimes I wonder if it's something more sinister going on in my head
        Last edited by psyguy; 05-15-2011, 04:37 PM.
        GS850GT

Comment

There is a T where the igniter, coils and kill switch all come together (all O/W and under the taped harness by the coils). I cut the one coming from the kill switch to switch the relay. I use the output power from the relay and tie that into where I cut the kill switch off the T.
          I use the O/W that went into the igniter to power the Dyna S.
          This way the relay powers all parts of your ignition at a single point.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Chef. That's what I'm basically going for - one point to power the whole ignition from. But as I'm doing it all at once and want to introduce the relay that I want to position on the electrics board (where the stock ignitor used to be) I have the oportunity to power the whole thing centrally from that relay.

I started working on it today... still waiting for Dyna to arrive before I can finalize the wiring... but it should look a very clean job once finished
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
              I want to have the Dyna coils and the Dyna S ignition powered through a relay (as per multiple recommendations on this site).
              I have done heaps of reading and think I'm ready to do it but it wouldn't hurt if you could let me know if I'm on the right track. I also want to do away with unnecessary wires and have the job done as neatly as possible.

I already have ready a new positive wire comming off the RR/batt through a fuse so that's sorted.

My questions are related to other wires to/from the relay and to/from Dyna S.
              1. If I open up the main harness under the tank can I use the orange/white wire coming from the kill switch to "trigger" the relay?
              2. Can I then remove the two orange/white wires that used to go to the coils as well as the rest of the orange/white wire that used to go to the stock igniter?
              3. As I have the wiring harness opened up, can I use the ground wire formerly for the ignitor now for the relay?
              4. Finally, can I altogether remove the stock ignition signal wires (black/yellow and white) from the wiring harness and connect signal wires from the Dyna S directly to the Dyna coils?
              Any other comments appreciated. Cheers

Assuming that is the "T", that is the proper place to pickup the power for your relay mod.

Comment

Thanks posplyr.

This is what I ended up doing:
                • opened up the wiring harness and extracted former ignition and coils wires from it in a location just before the harness passes by the batt box
                • extracted at the same point in the harness the new power wire directly from the batt (through a fuse) that I had added in the prep for this mod
                The pic shows:
                • black and white wires for the coils ignition signals
                • double red wires for power to the Dyna S ignition module
                • other wires for powering and trigering the new relay as well as power to coils
                Last edited by psyguy; 05-22-2011, 01:11 AM.
                GS850GT

Comment

Wires tucked away in the batt box cavity at the front:

GS850GT

Comment

The relay I fixed to the electrics board with the "Velcro" tape (aka "hook & eye") that gives the relay a suspension like what the factory indicators boxes have so hopefuly it won't suffer failure from the vibrations. The relay and the relay socket can easily be detached from the board in case of needing to replace the relay.

GS850GT

Comment

I tested the ignition statically and it seems I wired everything correctly but we will not know for certain until I try fire it up... I have screwed things up before where at first sight everything SEEMED all right
                      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        The relay I fixed to the electrics board with the "Velcro" tape (aka "hook & eye") that gives the relay a suspension like what the factory indicators boxes have so hopefuly it won't suffer failure from the vibrations. The relay and the relay socket can easily be detached from the board in case of needing to replace the relay.

Nice looking work! Where did you get your fuse box?

Comment

It does look good; the shrink tubing looks so much better than electrical tape.

The electric plate mounting location is still rubber mounted right? That is your first defense against vibration to the relay. The comes the velcro.

Comment

That looks like excellent work.
                            Don't ask Jim about my functional but ugly work.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
                              Nice looking work! Where did you get your fuse box?
                              Typically available at auto parts stores (at least here in New Zealand).
                              The labels I made using the tape label maker "Dymo" http://dymo.com
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X