Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEDs and a GS1000E

Hello All,
    Been looking to reduce the load on the charging system on my 78 GS-1000E. I do a lot of short rides and I'm concerned that eventually I'll wear the battery down.
    I've been reviewing SuperBrightLEDs.com - and I need some advise.
    First of all - I am assuming that the rear tail light is an 1157 type bulb? Also my gauge lights have blown and I'd like to replace them with LEDs as well. I'd also like to swap the plate light and the running lights as well. I have a WindJammer SS fairing so I need 1157 types for that as well. Has anyone swapped the running lights and left the rear directionals alone? Does it significantly alter the flash speed? Should I just go whole hog and swap the flasher unit for a no-load unit as well?
    Thoughts?
    -Joey

here's what i did. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=118025 still working fine after about three years. i did have to replace the flasher with an electronic version. i'm not sure about replacing both front and back signals with leds yet but i am going to try it soon since i just bought a set for the rear.

i'm not sure if the self-cancel unit will still work but i'll let ya know.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Eli - Please advise if the self cancel still works - frankly I'd rather it Didn't - I find the self cancelling directionals to be more annoying than anything. I prefer to put my blinkers on before I need to trying to be more visible - and the self cancel just turns them off quicker. Guess I got too used to driving Grandfather's 1953 Studebaker truck :-) (Directionals added - no self cancel feature)
      Thanks for the info!
      -Joey

Comment

Originally posted by SandPVRR View Post
        Eli - Please advise if the self cancel still works - frankly I'd rather it Didn't - I find the self cancelling directionals to be more annoying than anything. I prefer to put my blinkers on before I need to trying to be more visible - and the self cancel just turns them off quicker. Guess I got too used to driving Grandfather's 1953 Studebaker truck :-) (Directionals added - no self cancel feature)
        Thanks for the info!
        -Joey
        If it's working turn signals without the self cancelling feature I can help.
        I would gladly trade my working turn signal control unit that you have to manually shut off (otherwise they will flash forever) for a unit that flashes and self cancels. If you're interested PM me.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Should I just go whole hog and swap the flasher unit for a no-load unit as well?
          Thoughts?
          -Joey
          If you want to go whole hog, consider going with a HID headlight conversion....35 watts, whereas the stock halogen is 55/60. And easily twice the light output, to boot.
          FWIW, if your charging system is sound, I wouldn't be overly concerned with reducing load, unless you're looking to add accessories (heated grips/gloves, etc.)...too much reduction, is also a bad thing, esp. if you decide to take a long-ish trip at some point. A battery tender with a pig tail connection to maintain charge levels while parked is a worthwhile addition, if your rides are typically always short, and the bike goes unused for lengthly periods between rides. Just my $0.02 (Canadian).
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Well my Canadian friend - right now that two cents compares favorably with our two cents :-)
            Perhaps it would be a better idea to get myself a volt meter and monitor my charging system before I go swapping everything else. The nice part about having that large Windjammer SS fairing (besides obvious wind benefits) is the cigarette lighter plug - easy plug in for accessories.
            Or - I could mount this up.... Thoughts?
            We know you want to customize your bike and kick it up a notch, and with our Kuryakyn motorcycle parts, you can do just that! Explore our collection today.

-Joey

Comment

Perhaps it would be a better idea to get myself a volt meter and monitor my charging system before I go swapping everything else. The nice part about having that large Windjammer SS fairing (besides obvious wind benefits) is the cigarette lighter plug - easy plug in for accessories.
              Or - I could mount this up.... Thoughts?
              We know you want to customize your bike and kick it up a notch, and with our Kuryakyn motorcycle parts, you can do just that! Explore our collection today.

-Joey
              Yes, probably good to know where you stand with the health of your charging system (check out the Stator Papers elsewhere on this site).
              I happen to have that LED gauge (black, instead of chrome), but have not installed it. This one is better IMHO, and would probably look great in your fairing. Bonanzadave has fitted one on his 1100E with good results, and the only downside, IIRC, was that it has to be detachable, as it isn't completely waterproof.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

You know - I ran across that one on Amazon.com - and when it had such a horrible review by some guy who bought it for a bike only to find out the not- waterproof bit after the fact - I sort of wrote it off.... On the other hand - its cheap.
                I could also just periodically check it with my existing volt meter too.... Hand held though, couldn't do it while riding :-)
                -Joey

Comment

You know - I ran across that one on Amazon.com - and when it had such a horrible review by some guy who bought it for a bike only to find out the not- waterproof bit after the fact - I sort of wrote it off.... On the other hand - its cheap.
                  I could also just periodically check it with my existing volt meter too.... Hand held though, couldn't do it while riding :-)
                  -Joey
                  I've had the black one installed for 2 seasons now. The only issue was that the back is not fastened very well and was also not very waterproof. I simply glued it back on with some silicon sealant and it's been working fine since.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                  https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

It should be noted that if you switch to 4 LED turn signals, you will likely need to get an LED purposed flasher relay.

Comment

Working...
                    X