GS750E Now all sparkley, But no sparky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E Now all sparkley, But no sparky

Hello, Looking for a little direction here. Working on a buddies dad's GS. He said it was running before being stored. He had me clean the carbs and i painted the bike, fixed a broken speedo and added some pipes as his old ones had rotted off.

It was all together and ready to go but no fire. Engine is tuning over well, just no spark I have been threw bikecliff site and it was somewhat helpful but a little confusing. I have experience with old hondas and newer bikes but the GS750E is new to me.

This is what I have done so far:
    Checked Kill switch and key switch for continuity - Good
    The battery is brand new and shows almost 13V
    11.7 V at the coils. 12v at the points
    Checked and cleaned points. They looked recent and in good shape.
    Checked and cleaned every wire connector I could find. Looked for bad wires (even pulled the tape/looming off)
    Checked all the grounds.

I see a lot of talk about the ignitor. Where is it located on this bike? I see a voltage regulator under the side cover and what i am guessing is the rectifier under the battery box (hard to see it in there).

Where is the pick up located? Or i think they called it a signal generator? On bikecliff it said bottom of the right side of the engine... Does he mean under the points cover?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comment

There's no ignitor or signal generator on your bike, you have points

Do you have spark at the plugs? If not, you need new condensors

Check the voltage of your plug wires, the caps may be bad

You should be able to fire the plugs by turning on the power and opening one of the points

Check the wiring diagram and make sure the wires go from the points to the coils
      Last edited by Big T; 05-16-2011, 11:02 PM.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        There's no ignitor or signal generator on your bike, you have points

Do you have spark at the plugs? If not, you need new condensors

Check the voltage of your plug wires, the caps may be bad

You should be able to fire the plugs by turning on the power and opening one of the points

Check the wiring diagram and make sure the wires go from the points to the coils
        Thanks for the info. I thought that was the case but I second guessed myself after reading all the info on the bikecliff page. Been a while since i have done any electrical trouble shooting.

No spark at all at any of the plugs.

I will try the capacitors/condensers . I planned on testing them and double checking the points gap. i can just charge them with the battery and see if they go snap when grounded correct? I think my new meter has a capacitor check setting but i have never used that before. I'll order a new set tomorrow. The plug caps looked good but i will swap in the new one from my snowmobile and see if there is any change...

I did follow the wires down and around to the points and they do connect. Obviously the diagram I downloaded was not correct because it showed the ignitor and signal generator.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. classics2gom

Yes, the information can get overwhelming on my little website. You must take care to note the differences between the model years, like the points on the '79 and earlier models versus the electronic ignition on the '80 and later models. Some of the information is specific to my GS850G and other guides are for other models. Hopefully, along with your manual, the information on my site will get you familiar with the procedures and point you in the right direction.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You need the 750 (8 valve) manual

Cliff has it on his site
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and all the info! I will look for that mAnual on his site. I ordered the points set. Will post an update as soon as the are installed and set. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Thanks guys! Replaced the points and condensers and she fired right up!

Comment

Working...
                X