Regulator/Rectifier Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisfoley36 View Post
    Well it is defiantly bigger than the stock Regulator. This is a SH235. Gave the battery a full charge today and went for a short run in town to Bike Night and so far so good for the charging and starting. Here is a Picture from this evening about two hours ago.

Chris
    ps. would there be any problem hooking the Brown wire up as suggested?
    My post #3 did not refer to physical dimensions! My post #11 stated what has to be done with the brown wire!
    So much for trying to help!

Comment

From the R/R Replacement link on Bikecliff's site:

"On 6 wire units, that wire is a 'sense' wire which gets
      connected to a switched 12v source to help regulate the proper output. On 7
      wire units (3-yellow, 2-red, 2-green/ground), there is no sense wire but both
      grounds and hot wires are connected at different places."

I knew I remembered reading that when I had my own R/R issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
        My post #3 did not refer to physical dimensions! My post #11 stated what has to be done with the brown wire!
        So much for trying to help!
        Well yes, but post #11 also said that unit SH-235 was too small ( current wise) and I - tom203 ,aka troublemaker- ( not chrisfoley36 ) wondered how you determined this, since it appears to be standard Shindengen size.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Brown Wire

Hello Again
          I was not ignoring your advice. The Brown wire is hooked up. I was just asking if it made any differences and I guess why? I am far from being keen on repairs hence what got to this site. I just found some of the info contradicting. To what I had heard or read. It is all good and the end result is the bike is running and charging and I appreciate everyone's input.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisfoley36 View Post
            Hello Again
            I was not ignoring your advice. The Brown wire is hooked up. I was just asking if it made any differences and I guess why? I am far from being keen on repairs hence what got to this site. I just found some of the info contradicting. To what I had heard or read. It is all good and the end result is the bike is running and charging and I appreciate everyone's input.
            If in fact it is a sense wire (I assume so if that is Matchless's conclusion), then the R/R monitors the 6th wire voltage at the end of the sense wire to raise and lower internal charging so the sense point voltage is maintained at a reference level.

So if you leave it open, the voltage will be zero always and the R/R will always put out maximum power and voltage. The only way the R/R can regulate is by having that 6th wire connected to the voltage you are trying to regulate. The battery would be best but the wire can load teh battery and drain it if left on too long and the engine not run to recharge the battery.

I'm sure this has been explained about N times, you can dfing thing much more effectively using the "advanced" search. If you key in on a specirfic individual you can narrow down much easier as well.

For example look look for "Matchless" and 6 wire r/r
            Last edited by posplayr; 05-20-2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X