New Plug Wires on Stock Coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Plug Wires on Stock Coils?

I bought some new plug wires for my bike build. BUT, looking at the coils, I really don't see a way to replace the plug wires on them.

Has anyone successfully changed out their plug wires on the stock coil?

Can it be done?

Any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking.......

Thanks for the great advice as I was thinking of replacing my coil wires as well but after looking didn`t think it was possible. Now that I see it is possible what did you use to get the old epoxy off and what epoxy did you use to replace? Also any suggetions on where and what size replcement wire? Thanks bunches.
    sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
    1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

If you're unlucky the epoxy will go down into the coil & you'll never get it out. There is a slight better than equal chance of getting both coils out

I have a spare 3 ohm stock coil waiting for new wires somewhere just for this reason... (so if one of yours goes wrong give me a shout - we can work something out )
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I`ll do a little more research. I probably won`t get to do it for a week or two. Got 2 of the grandkids this weekend so hopefully next weekend.
        sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
        1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

I just did this yesterday and it was easy. I used a screwdriver and a hammer to chisel the old epoxy off. Just tapped it, and it came off in big chunks.
          Check here for BikeCliffs epoxy method.

Comment

Wow, I thought those cables were soldered or crimped to the coil leads. As someone mentioned if the cables are epoxied all the way down into the hole it's a pain to get them out. After I chipped off the outside epoxy globs I tried just pulling the cables, sure enough they both snapped off flush with the ceramic coil housing. I took a flat head precision screwdriver and pried the remaining wire rubber and epoxy out. Yes there was plenty of epoxy on the cables but eventually I got it all out. Be careful not to bend the coil pins when you get near the bottom.

Now to buy some 7mm replacement wire.
            Something like this perhaps: http://www.z1enterprises.com/Ignitio...lack-4374.aspx

I've just shortened my cables for now. I had a bad connection inside the wire where it came out of the coil.

I'm still considering a Dyna S and coils, but I'd like to get it running again first.

Comment

Working...
            X