Rewiring bike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewiring bike...

I have a 1979 GS550E that I want to completely rewire. Any advice?

Use more than one colour wire! I used only yellow wire a few years ago as a personal challenge and didn't find it easy.

Are you intending using a new harness, make you own, any mods or what?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I haven't seen a harness that i liked the look of yet, so probably going to make my own. The bike has been equipped with aftermarket coilshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/4801354...n/photostream/, starterhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/4801354...n/photostream/, and R/R, not sure of specifics, got it this way.....
      Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2011, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Score on the upgraded electrical 'stuff'. Dyna coils and Dyna electronic ignition and a new R/R, very nice. There are some very good, detailed wiring posts on BikeCliffs website

sounds like you're doing some great maintenance.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. scorpiokai,

Yes, see the Electrical Odds and Ends section of my little website for tips.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Use more than one colour wire! I used only yellow wire a few years ago as a personal challenge and didn't find it easy.

Are you intending using a new harness, make you own, any mods or what?
            RU serious? No way man no way. All yellow?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              It's no different than being colour blind.

Comment

I am color blind and have my wife help find the right wires. Even though I have a hard time with colors, the different colors still help.

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish, aesthetics or solve an issue. I assume the former. You seem to be new to wiring,it may be easier to clean up the existing harness to your liking. Rather than take on a full harness build
                  1984 GS550ES
                  Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                  4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

A combination of fixing issues, preventing issues and aesthetics. This would be my first attempt at any wiring project. I did start opening the existing harness to do a visual inspection.

Comment

I rewired my 550B a few years ago. I removed the old harness completely, and designed a new. This requires new documentation as well.
                      For inspiration you could look up: http://poulzen.dk/Electrical_Diagram...550_77_v11.pdf

BR
                      Stig
                      77 GS550B

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                        Yes, all yellow. I'd just visited the Ponnse factory in Finland and they use two colours - grey and yellow - for everything and it kind of made an impression (maybe it was getting blasted on their free schnapps and Olvi beer every night...). I didn't have any grey wire so used yellow. It's not easy and it doesn't even look anything special so not recommended.

Urrikan-gurrikan to all our Finnish members (no chance it's spelt right and was told it means cheers / down the hatch etc in Finnish).
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                          Yes, all yellow. I'd just visited the Ponnse factory in Finland and they use two colours - grey and yellow - for everything and it kind of made an impression (maybe it was getting blasted on their free schnapps and Olvi beer every night...). I didn't have any grey wire so used yellow. It's not easy and it doesn't even look anything special so not recommended.

Urrikan-gurrikan to all our Finnish members (no chance it's spelt right and was told it means cheers / down the hatch etc in Finnish).
                          I can't imagine a bigger pain in the arsh than having no color codes for wires.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            Hemorrhoids?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              I wouldn't disagree. Seemed like a fun challenge at the time though. I'm still taking the pills.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                              X