Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no spark no fun

Hi All!

I'm from Hungary. I've got a GS 1000, i think EN from 1983. Some days ago i was at a cycling fest and there was heavy rain. Then my bike start once and then do nothing, just the starter motor starts and the starter relay clicks.

Home i look through the BikeCliff website and try to figure out what's wrong. So i realized that i've no spar on any spark plug.

I look through the wiring and found that the black (black/yellow) wire from the contact braker has ~ 2V with any of the battery pole, but the white wire has just with the + terminal 11,8V, which is on the + and - terminal on the battery too.

I think something go to ground and i think it is the condenser so i replace it with a new one and replace teh b/y wire too. But the simptome is the same.

Any suggestion, what should i look through?

Ps i look through the website's testin the ignition section, but becouse my english is not so strong i don't understan everything and i don't know how to test the contact braker, because there is a description from igniter

So many thing i measure so i'm not sure, but it could be, that i've got 11,8 V (which is on the battery too) between the orange/white wire from the coil and the + terminal of the battery

Originally posted by GSSzucs View Post
    Hi All!

I'm from Hungary. I've got a GS 1000, i think EN from 1983. Some days ago i was at a cycling fest and there was heavy rain. Then my bike start once and then do nothing, just the starter motor starts and the starter relay clicks.

Home i look through the BikeCliff website and try to figure out what's wrong. So i realized that i've no spar on any spark plug.

I look through the wiring and found that the black (black/yellow) wire from the contact braker has ~ 2V with any of the battery pole, but the white wire has just with the + terminal 11,8V, which is on the + and - terminal on the battery too.

I think something go to ground and i think it is the condenser so i replace it with a new one and replace teh b/y wire too. But the simptome is the same.

Any suggestion, what should i look through?

Ps i look through the website's testin the ignition section, but becouse my english is not so strong i don't understan everything and i don't know how to test the contact braker, because there is a description from igniter

So many thing i measure so i'm not sure, but it could be, that i've got 11,8 V (which is on the battery too) between the orange/white wire from the coil and the + terminal of the battery
    If you got a 83, you don't have points or condensers- you should have cute little signal coils that connect to an ignitor box that decides when to fire the spark plugs. Just where is this black/yellow wire and the white wire? Someone else will be along to help identify the year of your bike - maybe your bike is older than you think.Meanwhile revisit Basscliff's site and get a wiring diagram based on what year you think the bike is.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Your English is OK, but you need to clarify

1. Is your bike older, with mechanical points?
      2. Is your bike newer, with electronic ignition?

A picture of the ignition would help
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's on the bike's paper, that it was made in 1983. I look at the site and probably i've an 1979 GS1000EN with contact braker. I attach an official picture, i'm now a little tired to take a photo :-)
        So there is 2 condenser. 2 little hammer.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2011, 01:00 AM.

Comment

It's on the bike's paper, that it was made in 1983. I look at the site and probably i've an 1979 GS1000EN with contact braker. I attach an official picture, i'm now a little tired to take a photo :-)
          So there is 2 condenser. 2 little hammer.
          Must be a 79 then! Basscliff's site has an owners manual for a 79 gs1000E which should give some good tips- not sure if he has a wiring diagram. I'm not familiar with this bike but others will soon show up to explain what to test.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I measure again the voltage as it was written in the ignition test, and I have 11,8 V on orange/white and the + terminal of the battery not on the -. How can it be?

Tom203 thank you for the tip, but i already look throug everything and i have the wiring diagram too.

Comment

I measure again the voltage as it was written in the ignition test, and I have 11,8 V on orange/white and the + terminal of the battery not on the -. How can it be?

Tom203 thank you for the tip, but i already look throug everything and i have the wiring diagram too.
              sounds like the problem is somewhere else, those voltages sound right.

Orange/White(O/W) to ground 11.8V (11,8V)
              Battery(+) to Battery(-) 11.8V(11,8V)

The O/W is connected to the battery (+) through the ignition switches, kill switch and fuse box. So it should be about the same ignoring the voltage drops through those components.

Comment

Today I measure again almost everything.

So the ignition switch off i measure the o/w and the battery + terminal 11,8 V.
                The ignition switch on i measure the o/w and the battery - terminal 11,8 V.

I think it could be OK.
                I test the ignition coil too the resistance seems to be OK too. On the cup on the same coil it's 12,5 K, on o/w and white and o/w and b/y wire 4.
                I look at my contact braker. Where the white wire comes from there the little hammer is closed, so i think it's on ground. Where the b/y comes there the little hammer is open, i think. On the b/y wire i measure a little voltage with the + and - terminal of the battery too.
                My ignition coil, where the 1 and 4 plug cups comes from is a little hot with the ignition key on, the other is cool. I look through the wiring and i don't find any trouble.
                Could it be that this isn't an electrical problem?
                Where should i know, that the starter motor starts the engine, could it be that the engine doesn't turn over and it's the cause that there isn't any spark?

Comment

Check your switches. It's possible you have corrosion in the contacts and getting it wet caused your problems. Solenoid clicking can also be an indication of a low battery. Time to go through the electrical system and clean up all your connections and check out the charging system.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

My ignition coil, where the 1 and 4 plug cups comes from is a little hot with the ignition key on, the other is cool. I look through the wiring and i don't find any trouble.
                    Could it be that this isn't an electrical problem?
                    Where should i know, that the starter motor starts the engine, could it be that the engine doesn't turn over and it's the cause that there isn't any spark?
                    With ignition on- but engine not running-if the points for 1 and 4 are closed, current runs up to that coil , so it gets hot. Same for points for 2 and 3 and their coil. When points open, the spark occurs. You might have a weak battery, so when you crank starter motor, the voltage drops going to coils. As Oldvet66 said, check battery status and connections.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

So it seems it's something mechanical.
                      My gear on the back of the generator rotor, doesn't put the drive through the crankshaft, so my contact breaker could not break, so i think this is the cause that i haven't any spark.

Comment

Working...
                      X