Battery ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery ?

Hi, My Gs1100G stands for a few weeks.It always starts eventually.
    However I went on 100 mile round trip no problems.
    When I got home and went to start it. The battery is flat and just clicks.
    Any ideas,I dont know how old the battery is.

Hi,

Have your battery load tested. Most bike shops, auto repair shops, or parts stores have the capability.

Start with a known good, fully charged battery and go through The Stator Papers. See the electrical page of my little website for more charging system troubleshooting procedures.

Have you measured the voltage at the battery while idling? While at 5000 rpm? Have you checked/cleaned/repaired all of the connections in the entire wiring harness?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Battery

Hi, Thanks for your advice. I charged the battery for 1 hour and it nearly turned the engine over. I checked all the connections around the fuse box and battery area. I suddenly found that a slide on connection which fits onto a nipple type stud which protrudes from the starter motor was not connected. I refitted it and recharged the battery.I dont know how long this has been dissconnected.Luckily the bike started whilst I was out and I think it must have kept going without the battery being involved.Does that make sense? Perhaps the battery is knackered .

Comment

Originally posted by thicklotto View Post
        Hi, Thanks for your advice. I charged the battery for 1 hour and it nearly turned the engine over. I checked all the connections around the fuse box and battery area. I suddenly found that a slide on connection which fits onto a nipple type stud which protrudes from the starter motor was not connected. I refitted it and recharged the battery.I dont know how long this has been dissconnected.Luckily the bike started whilst I was out and I think it must have kept going without the battery being involved.Does that make sense? Perhaps the battery is knackered .
        " knackered", that's a great word! I use to work with an English guy. Anyways, doesn't your starter motor have a cover? That wire (maybe 6mm thick) coming loose would prevent starting, but won't interfere with charging the battery as other wires do the charging work, so your battery might be faulty. Follow Basscliff's advice - look for more loose and/or dirty connections.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Battery

Thanks for that. Yes the starter is covered but the connections are on view.
          However ,I charged the battery overnight and its still knackered. Looks like I will have to invest in a new one.

Comment

Working...
          X