turning signals and starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turning signals and starter problems

I just bought a 1980 gs550l off someone and I am trying to fix a couple issues I'm having with it. One problem is when I push the start button the starter solenoid just clicking, I've tried jumping it and that isn't working so I'm guessing it is either the starter solenoid or the starter but not sure. and another problem i just noticed was when the headlight is on the turning signals aren't blinking, but if the headlight is off they work fine. any help with either of these problems would be appreciated.

Originally posted by jborrun View Post
    I just bought a 1980 gs550l off someone and I am trying to fix a couple issues I'm having with it. One problem is when I push the start button the starter solenoid just clicking, I've tried jumping it and that isn't working so I'm guessing it is either the starter solenoid or the starter but not sure. and another problem i just noticed was when the headlight is on the turning signals aren't blinking, but if the headlight is off they work fine. any help with either of these problems would be appreciated.
    Welcome! this is a common complaint-solenoid clicking, yet starter motor does not go- your battery is not delivering adequate power to motor, so you might have poor connections and/or a weak battery. Headlight and turn signal issue indicates low voltage. Connections on 30 year old bikes are always suspect. Visit Basscliff's site and look for "electrical odds and ends" to get some ideas. Put your model/year of bike in your signature for future posts.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

jb,

Welcome ro GSR.

1. Solewnoid click but not turn engine.
      Well you know everthing is okay in the starterbutton-solenoid circuit. Why starter doesnt turn engine could be problem with solenoid or problem wioth starter or battery too weak (or maybe battery not well charged due to chargin problems).

2. Signals not flashing when headlight on. That would be becasue when headlight is on, it is dragging the battery voltage too low to operate the flasher. Well actaully voltage too low for there to be enogh current flow to operate the flasher. THis too from battery too weak or not well cahrged due to charging system problems.

So maybe both problems resulting from same situation of charging system problems.
      You have not mentioned any voltage readings.
      You have a volt meter?
      You will want to have a volt meter.

Oh, by the way, not too long after "turn signals not working" is "dead on side of the road".

(note: In addition to bike model/year in signature line, add your general location to profile. GOt ot User CP.)

Last edited by Redman; 05-21-2011, 07:51 AM. Reason: add later note.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Measure battery voltage:
        - With engine off, after bike not running for hour or more.
        - then with engine running at idle
        - then with engine at mid rpm, like at 4k. SHould be hiogher voltage than before, like at least upper 13s or low 14s.

Tell us what you find.

Oh, wait.
        - You have not postied picture of bike. We can not give any more advise tioll we see picture of bike. Yah, we need to know if it is black or red.
        - You say it doesnt turn over, so I gather then that you are not getting it started. SO not able to check the charging system.

DO you have a battery charger?
        You have a 30 year old bike. You will want to have a battery charger (one amp, no more. Better yet, a Battery Tender that will not overcharge, can leave it on all winter.)
        You have a 30 year old bike. You will want to have a volt meter.
        You have a 30 year old GS, you will want to have a volt meter.

Tell us more.

Dave.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Quote;;
          Oh, by the way, not too long after "turn signals not working" is "dead on side of the road".

Yes, that's a built-in warning device!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X