Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just replaced my Stator, am I screwing up ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just replaced my Stator, am I screwing up ?

Well, I just finished replacing my stator in a 1980 550E.
    The bike fired right up as usual but in checking the voltage off the stator I'm only reading around 12V, even at 3-4K. That's right off the stator, I'm bummed.
    I checked my VO meter on the house AC and the probes had to be just right to read 121V, but it read right.
    Maybe I'm not getting a decent connection/contact on the bike.
    I'll try again later and have the wife throttle it up while I diddle with the meter.
    Any thoughts ?

Get a better meter.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by oldpara View Post
      Well, I just finished replacing my stator in a 1980 550E.
      The bike fired right up as usual but in checking the voltage off the stator I'm only reading around 12V, even at 3-4K. That's right off the stator, I'm bummed.
      I checked my VO meter on the house AC and the probes had to be just right to read 121V, but it read right.
      Maybe I'm not getting a decent connection/contact on the bike.
      I'll try again later and have the wife throttle it up while I diddle with the meter.
      Any thoughts ?
      Without going thru your previous posts, did you do the charging tests and determined that your stator had failed. Is the replacement stator new, or used off ebay? You say "right off the stator"- AC or DC ? - I'm unsure of what you mean.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

if he read 121 V on house wiring I suspect it is VAC, but like Kent said it could be a cheap meter and it will not read VAC at 300 Hz (3000 RPM)

Comment

I bought the meter at Auto Zone, it's a Inonova Equus 3320.
          $28.00 unit.
          The stator is new from Ricks, at least I assume it's new.
          I did the tests on the old stator, per stator pages, Basscliff, failed two out of three tests.
          The new stator was reading only about 12-13V AC. Hmmm, same as the old one......
          Like I said I'm about to get the wife to throttle it up while I probe the bugger.
          300Hz ? Oh good another "crap I wish I'd known that"

Comment

I checked the voltage again, same thing although I did get a 15.5V at about 4k, Oooo now I'm getting somewhere....
            Asked my wife to turn the throttle, she asked which way, Ugh.
            Anyway we got it done but doesn't look good.
            What do I look for in a volt meter ? Could it be that simple/expensive (new stator, time, effort, cussing) ?

Comment

I checked the voltage again, same thing although I did get a 15.5V at about 4k, Oooo now I'm getting somewhere....
              Asked my wife to turn the throttle, she asked which way, Ugh.
              Anyway we got it done but doesn't look good.
              What do I look for in a volt meter ? Could it be that simple/expensive (new stator, time, effort, cussing) ?
              That's a decent meter- better than my $10 on sale Craftsman meter. But all these cheap meters are designed for AC voltages in the 60 cycle range and at 4k rpm your stator is in the 300 cycle range.What "doesn't look good" ? if you're getting 15.5 volts DC at 4k ( at battery), that's good ( a little high to my taste). What do you get at idle? Repeat the charging tests to find out if your R/R was responsible for your stator's demise.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I was checking the voltage directly off the stator.
                Apparantly supposed to be getting 60VAC to the R/R and only getting 12-14VAC.
                Am I confused about something ?

Comment

So stator unplugged from R/R gives 12-14 VAC across any two stator wires? Yet, you're getting 15.5 VDC at battery at 4k rpm? Hmm, maybe I will stick with Sears meters or are you not using meter correctly?
                  And while I'm dropping questions on you- do you have a honda R/R from soon to be retiring Duaneage? sense wire into rear brake switch ? 15.5 volt is high , so maybe the sense wire ain't seeing the battery correctly.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    So stator unplugged from R/R gives 12-14 VAC across any two stator wires? Yet, you're getting 15.5 VDC at battery at 4k rpm? Hmm, maybe I will stick with Sears meters or are you not using meter correctly?
                    And while I'm dropping questions on you- do you have a honda R/R from soon to be retiring Duaneage? sense wire into rear brake switch ? 15.5 volt is high , so maybe the sense wire ain't seeing the battery correctly.
                    starting to sound like it is not open loop

Comment

You should be getting 80v AC on each pair of yellow stator wires at 5000 rpm. The R/R must be unplugged from the 3 yellow stator wires to do the test. Do you have your meter set to ACv600 for doing this test.

Stator AC output is linear to rpm. You should read 80v AC @5k rpm, or 40v AC @ 2500 rpm, or 20v AC at 1250 rpm.

Earl
                      Last edited by earlfor; 05-22-2011, 12:06 AM.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hi,

What do the passive tests show on your new stator? Are you testing the stator while it is totally disconnected from the r/r unit?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

tom203 said:
                          So stator unplugged from R/R gives 12-14 VAC across any two stator wires? Yet, you're getting 15.5 VDC at battery at 4k rpm?
                          I think he means the reading directly off the stator went up a bit to 15.5V on his second go.

Comment

Yes you are. There is not supposed to be any voltage going to the R/R. It is supposed to be disconnected/unplugged from the stator when measuring the stator AC voltage output.

Earl
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I bought the meter at Auto Zone, it's a Inonova Equus 3320.
                              $28.00 unit.
                              The stator is new from Ricks, at least I assume it's new.
                              I did the tests on the old stator, per stator pages, Basscliff, failed two out of three tests.
                              The new stator was reading only about 12-13V AC. Hmmm, same as the old one......
                              Like I said I'm about to get the wife to throttle it up while I probe the bugger.
                              300Hz ? Oh good another "crap I wish I'd known that"
                              Did a little research on you AutoZone meter and it is good to 400hz on AC volts but testing the stator for 80volts @ 5000 RPM it will need to handle 500hz so that test is out with that meter. Just short cut you’re testing and hook up the stator and test DC voltage at the battery. Just off idle you should have over 13volts and 14 to 15volts at 5000 RPM. If you fail these test just check you wire connectors and/or replace the regulator because after all the stator is new.

Or you get a better meter and fallow the stator papers, as they can be a useful resource.

Comment

Working...
                              X