1981 gs 650 l stator compatibilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs 650 l stator compatibilty

Hi, new here and I really need a question answered............ BTW, so glad this site is here : ) I have a 1981 Suzuki gs650L (or GL as I have learned from here) and did all the tests and found out my stator died, so I went to ebay first because I just don't have that kind of money right now for a new one, on there they have stators that sellers claim will fit a 450, 550, 650, 750, and 850..........what I would like to know is, if I bought one for a 1982 gs550 would it fit my bike and work and also what years would I need to be looking around for it to fit my bike or do I just need to buy one for 1981. I thank you in advance and thanks again for being here to help new guys like myself, Zack

[QUOTE=dockworker63;1422112]Hi, new here and I really need a question answered............ BTW, so glad this site is here : ) I have a 1981 Suzuki gs650L (or GL as I have learned from here) and did all the tests and found out my stator died, so I went to ebay first because I just don't have that kind of money right now for a new one, on there they have stators that sellers claim will fit a 450, 550, 650, 750, and 850..........what I would like to know is, if I bought one for a 1982 gs550 would it fit my bike and work and also what years would I need to be looking around for it to fit my bike or do I just need to buy one for 1981. I thank you in advance and thanks .

The same stator was used by suzuki on lots of models in those days. Follow the link to Basscliff's site, look for electrical odds and ends,and look for compatible stators- Basscliff might descend at any moment and give you a direct link, but I'm computer challenged. I replaced my original stator with a used ebay one off a 450. I since picked up a used one off a 550. They are slighty different thicknesses, but basically the same. Some kawasakis used the same stator, but you would have to modify the connectors.
    Last edited by tom203; 05-22-2011, 05:03 PM. Reason: clarity
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom203, I appreciate it, I did go and did not find anything. I am sure this is a site I can go to that will let me know what years and sizes of bikes that have the same stator as the one I need, but I just cant find such site. This is why I was glad I found this site and just know someone here will have the answer I am looking for............so I am holding out that someone will read this and give me the exact answer I need. I thank you again for the reply Tom, Have a great evening, Zack

Comment

The answer dockworker wanted! some guys get all the breaks.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X