my bike intermittently doesnt fire/hit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my bike intermittently doesnt fire/hit?

So the other day (2 days ago) I took my bike on about a 2hr ride and along my travels i stopped for some fuel. Well i shut the bike off filled up then went to fire it up and it just clicked once and no fire or turn of the starter. Tried again and "one click" nothing. So i sit there about 5 or so minutes and i try it again and it fires and starts.........

So today, the hottest day of the year so far (in the 80s and sunny) i take the bike on another 2hr run maybe a little less, this time i dont stop til i get home and park the bike in the driveway in the sun not in the garage. I go in the house for about an hour or so & i come back out to ride again & i go to hit it and "click" nothing........I hit it again and again about 4 or 5 times and all i get is a "click". So i try one last time and it turns altho i didnt have the choke positioned rite and it died out and when i hit it again, you guessed it "click" nothing.....?

any ideas or advice to this newcomer rider, as i have nothing,lol. I dont know bikes or anything about them. Sounds like a battery or something in that vicinity but the lights are nice and bright, signals work etc. Whats this little stator thing or something electrical ive read alot about here in the forums, anything to do w/ the little silver box mounted underneath the side covers?

Where exactly is this 'click' coming from? It could be something as simple as a short some where...I guess I shouldn't say 'simple' as it can take a bit of time to find it. I had that happen once and it was a loose connection in the three wire connector that came from the start button control. It could be a bad battery connection? it's probably something simple in the electrical department, just have to trace it down the next time it does it.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It's hard to diagnose without more information

You need a VOM and to test the battery static and under load

You need to check your connections, especially in the starter circuit

Most likely causes

1. Bad battery - replace
      2. Starter button - clean
      3. Solenoid - clean

A GS stator is always suspect, but you can test that output
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Sometimes, something as simple as loose battery connections can cause this behavior. Make sure the solenoid is properly grounded. Make sure the positive wire to the starter has good connections. See the electrical section of my website for more suggestions.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

ok so accidentally i think i may have found an issue/problem/fix,lol. I tried starting it again & nothing but then i kept the bike in gear thinking maybe from the bike sitting so long before i bought it maybe it had a flat spot in the gears from the starter or internal gear & guess what, so i keep the bike in gear and manually push it forward real hard (1/2 foot) i then stop and hit the starter button and she fires rite up. so what next? what needs replaced now that we know whats happening in a sense?

Comment

Hi,

Do you have to pull the clutch in to start the bike? (You should always start it in neutral anyway.) If so, have you tried disabling the clutch interlock switch? You can usually bypass it in the headlight bucket. Have you tested the start button switch? Have you checked the ground on the solenoid? Have you checked and cleaned all of the electrical connections? The procedure you describe doesn't really tell me much other than you haven't really followed any suggestions in this thread.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Pac-Man View Post
              ok so accidentally i think i may have found an issue/problem/fix,lol. I tried starting it again & nothing but then i kept the bike in gear thinking maybe from the bike sitting so long before i bought it maybe it had a flat spot in the gears from the starter or internal gear & guess what, so i keep the bike in gear and manually push it forward real hard (1/2 foot) i then stop and hit the starter button and she fires rite up. so what next? what needs replaced now that we know whats happening in a sense?
              Your analysis is faulty - gears don't wear from sitting, the starter circuit isn't affected by moving the bike

You have an electrical problem - find it
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
              X