Electrical wiring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rluper View Post
    Okay so I need to buy a rectifier/regulator and I found some on ebay but I've had bad luck with used crap on ebay because I realize when I get them that they are used crap.
    Luper
    Before you start off in that direction rather first pull the left engine cover and see what you have there. Check if the rotor is in good condition and what does the magnets look like. Then also check out the stator and the stator wiring. Specifically check for physical damage as the PO may have done that mod because he could not repair or replace the old alternator and had to find an alternative.

I would suggest rather buying a new stator if needed or good rewind and a used regulator from a late model big bike unless you have a bottomless pit of money available. Many of us have bought good regulators off ebay, so do not be too hasty in condemning that cheaper source.

Comment

well regardless I need tyhe rectifier correct? I haven't opened the engine up yet I'm just trying to clean up the wires and get stuff connected first

Comment

Hi,

When shopping for a regulator/rectifier unit, you'll want to get specific models. Click here for the list of known compatible units: Compatible Stators and R/Rs

The list at the bottom of the page will be most helpful if you're shopping on Ebay and looking for an upgrade unit.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by rluper View Post
          well regardless I need tyhe rectifier correct? I haven't opened the engine up yet I'm just trying to clean up the wires and get stuff connected first
          Yes, you do need it if it is physically possible to revive the old charging system.

Comment

Is there a difference between the wiring harnesses of the different GS850 modesl 1980? G versus L?

I'm having trouble with my wiring harness I bought off ebay and the learning curve is steep considering the bike was missing essential electrical equipment and the wiring was a birdsnest.

Comment

An alternator normally has the regulator built into it. At least the ones I have examined/rebuilt have been that way.

Comment

Working...
              X