Electrical wiring issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical wiring issues

Ok.. here is another thread... ... The PO of my bike spliced and actually got a car alternator on the bike... so yeah there are a crap load of wires and nearly all are exposed out of the tape... a big head ache so I bought a new wiring harness though it was from the L model where mine is a G model. (1980 850G)

Question is: Are there any inline fuses and if so where... Also, stupid question, if I turn the ignition on to test functionality (engine off), will I risk frying anything other than fuses if I misconnected something? I plan on using a multimeter but just wondering.
    And I only spent 5 hours today looking through all the wiring and figuring out what goes where so I will probably have more questions!

if you have no trust in the harness, I would probably disconnect the battery and apply an ohm meter across the plus/minus to see what you get; if it is shorted it will be much less than 1 ohms.

One of the fuses should blow, but I would check and make sure that there are no other connections to the + side of the battery than:
    • the starter (the thickest cable) and
    • a single thick cable to teh fuse box.
    did someone really wire in an alternator???? Is there and external pulley?

Comment

Hi,

In the stock GS850GT all of the fuses are in the fusebox under the left sidecover. There should be 4 fuses, 5 if you have an aux. circuit hooked up.

Sometimes the fuses will not blow quickly enough to prevent all damage. I suppose you could try 5 amp fuses instead of the normal 10 or 15 amp fuses while testing. But still, that's no guarantee.

I'd like to see a picture of that alternator on your bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Lol... the points cover was off, pulley system added... alternator was located around the right knee area. I'll post some photos this week of progress... thanks for the advice I'm new and learning but the wiring truly is a challenge especially with all the splicing and occasionally mismatches connectors.

Oh and when I say PO I really mean PPO as the previous owner tried to start fixing the bike but got overwhelmed... the PPO before him is who I'm frustrated at. Attached is the photo that shows the alternator.

Comment

Almost genius! He should have done the 1-wire conversion on the alternator and then all it would have taken to work is a single lead to the + side of the battery. I had a '67 HD 45" with a GM alternator on it and I wired it up that way. Never have a charging issue again! Mine was off a stock pulley in front of the engine, no belt trying to eat your leg like that setup.

Comment

I really like that! I wonder how many stator and R/R replacements was needed to to motivate the PO to do that! No problems with extra lights now! I would think about a V-belt guard in your case.

When tidying up your wiring, just keep the original wiring separate from the added alternator and treat it as an add on.

This is not something we see every day and I would like to see more pictures, closeups as well, please!

Excellent!

Comment

Hi,

That's pretty impressive, perhaps a little inconvenient, but impressive.

Thanks for the picture! It's totally "Mad Max".

BassCliff

Comment

thats pretty cool. definatly thinking outside the box, down the street, around the corner and then some.

Comment

the only question now is who is going to try this on there bike?

Comment

impressive my butt... great for him but once he sold it, it was not impressive at all... the wiring is a huge bird nest! lol....

Comment

Originally posted by rluper View Post
                      impressive my butt... great for him but once he sold it, it was not impressive at all... the wiring is a huge bird nest! lol....
                      so there is probably some type of automotive regulator or did he use a motorcycle type?

Comment

I will be posting a photo so you may possible help me with that! I didn't know much about electrical aspects of a bike and apparently there is no generator and no regulator which sucks. And I'm stuck on wiring the relay for turn signal plus there are two other pieces I'm not sure what they are. I will post photo. I just bought some connectors so it all fits nice and neat... tedious tedious but I'm learning and getting there... thank you for the replies!

After I make some connectors work I'm calling it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Hi,

That's pretty impressive, perhaps a little inconvenient, but impressive.

Thanks for the picture! It's totally "Mad Max".

BassCliff
                          Didn't that win an episode of Junkyard Wars?

Comment

Originally posted by rluper View Post
                            I will be posting a photo so you may possible help me with that! I didn't know much about electrical aspects of a bike and apparently there is no generator and no regulator which sucks. And I'm stuck on wiring the relay for turn signal plus there are two other pieces I'm not sure what they are. I will post photo. I just bought some connectors so it all fits nice and neat... tedious tedious but I'm learning and getting there... thank you for the replies!

After I make some connectors work I'm calling it a day.
                            The OP could have made it complicated but wiring in an alternator v.s. PM generator should be relatively easy.

Comment

Okay so I need to buy a rectifier/regulator and I found some on ebay but I've had bad luck with used crap on ebay because I realize when I get them that they are used crap.

So the rectifier/regulator I found on rmstator.com looks different than the stock one (assuming that it is because of technology!) but are these the same or what? https://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcyc...-1981/3185.htm And https://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcyc...-1981/3185.htm

One says 1979-1981 while other says 1980-1981. I have a 1980 850G ... Thanks just want to make sure it doesn't matter! lol
                              -Luper

Comment

Working...
                              X