Wiring harness help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring harness help.

Hoo boy. I have about 80% of the wiring harness figured out, but there's a few quirks that really have me thrown off. It's a matter of things not matching the color scheme on the wiring harness, and a couple of connections that I'm not sure should even exist.

This is at the very front of the bike. 9 prong plug with no female side to be found. I don't have a headlight assembly so I assume that could be it, but even so the wiring scheme doesn't lay out right on the loose wires as pictured.

These were in the toolbox. I think they're R/Rs, but; why is there 2, where do they go, and are either of them stock?

I have some more (maybe) but I'd like to get these 2 things squared away and I might be able to figure out the rest.

That 9 prong looks aftermarket. Is it coming from the main harness or a plug-in branch?

Your headlamp connector is plugged into some other aftermarket branch of some sort. Hard for us to tell you what's going on with so much non-stock mods going on.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      That 9 prong looks aftermarket. Is it coming from the main harness or a plug-in branch?

Your headlamp connector is plugged into some other aftermarket branch of some sort. Hard for us to tell you what's going on with so much non-stock mods going on.
      That's what I was looking for actually. I just wanted to ensure it wasn't needed before I throw it away and trace the main harness wires. Thanks!

Comment

My 850 had a plug like that, it went to a fairing that po had on. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
          My 850 had a plug like that, it went to a fairing that po had on. terrylee
          Makes total sense. No headlight assembly, odd brackets in the token milk crate o parts... Probably had a vetter or something on there.

Well that straightens some things out. I need to make a better print out of the wiring diagram so I can see if I can figure out the rest of this, but I'm sure I'll have a few more pics up later tonight.

Comment

So I printed up a huge wiring schematic and went through the harness and figured out where everything goes; WOO HOO!!!

I'm looking to replace all of the bullet terminals and shrink tube everything to mitigate any connections issues. Aside from that wonky aftermarket job, everything is pretty well ok. The ignition switch wiring is a bit mangled, but totally manageable.

My current issue is this guy:

The big one came off the bottom of the battery box, and I can't remember for the life of me how the wiring went. There's 3 yellow, 1 red, and 1 black/white. I know where the red and the black/white go, but how can I figure out the yellows? Or are they all the same?

And the little one, does that even go to this bike? I can't find a plug to match it, and it looks a little more modern than the big one.

Comment

The one with the 3 yellow, 1 red and 1 black is a factory R/R. The other thing I have no idea what that might be.

Comment

The little one is an R/R for a honda mini apparently. In any case, I can't seem to find if there's any difference for the 3 yellow R/R wires or not. I would imagine they'd be marked if there was any difference, but I'd rather play this one safe...

Comment

No there's no difference as far as I know. Mine is wired directly to the stator. 3 yellows to the 3 from the stator. Red to the fuse box. Black to the Ground on the battery.

Comment

Good to hear, thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X