Intermittent spark, ignition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent spark, ignition?

So I got a guy doing a carb synch and some other misc work on my bike, and I stopped in today to drop some stuff off and we fired it up. It fired up for about 30 seconds, ran great, and then wouldn't start. We got to playing with it and found that there wasn't any spark from either coil. Well I had to leave, but he later said he wiggled the key around and it started sparking and fired right up like 3 minutes after I left without doing anything else. I'd had issues before with no spark, and just assumed wiggling around the wires fixed it.

So could it be something with the ignition not quite working right, like not fully engaging? I also have a slow/weak drain on the battery when the key is turned off, and he suggested it might be the ignition not shutting all the way off or shorting. I have another ignition I'm going to test out, just wanted to see if anybody had similar issues.

wiring

This is something I have experienced. Take a look at the main wire loom and look for the 9 pin plug under the tank near the coils. This might be your problem with that plug connector. They tend to become melted and may cause a poor connection. This is also where the loop for the stator doubles back and causes problems with poor contacts. I have generally replaced that plug with a molex connector from Radio shack. Also, I have rerouted the stator leads to the r/r and redid the grounds. This may not be your problem, but this is something that I have found on one of my bikes during a rebuild. You also should clean all the connectors and grounds and use dielectric grease to eliminate any problems. I would also check the plug-in connectors in the headlamp assembly and at the ignition switch. Bob

Comment

Working...
    X