problem with kill switch. any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with kill switch. any ideas?

i have a 1980 gs550e and it seems like the kill switch is somehow engaged? i got a new throttle assembly and it still doesn't work. the turn signals work, the headlight works, the gauge lights work, the horn works, and the brake lights work and i can jump the solenoid and the starter works but the bike wont start and it wont roll start. the battery is brand new (4 days old), the oil is fresh, new headers, and new valve cover gasket.

the bike was running perfectly until i took off the throttle assembly to install new handlebars when i put it back together and it wouldn't start. The previous owner the jerry rigged the assembly to a point where the 2 orange wires had been pinched together to the point that you could see the copper of both wires and could have been making contact. i tried connecting them to "bypass" the kill switch and that didnt work so i got a new assembly and installed it and it still wont start?????

any suggestions?

Firstly welcome aboard. sorry to hear of your issue but it should be easily fixable.

so i got a new assembly and installed it and it still wont start?????
    Is this new as in brand new OEM or a used unit? If its used I suspect the contacts in the switch are dirty and not making proper contact. You should carefully take the switch apart and clean the contacts. Get them shiney clean.

To figure out electrical issues like this you should have a circuit test light and a multimeter to check for voltage. The circuit test probe is the easiest to use first. with the key on you should be able to trace voltage all the way from the battery, through the fuse block, along the lines and through connectors into and then out of the switch mechanism down to the solenoid. You should also have a wiring diagram to reference which lines to follow. If you don't have a manual go to BassCliff's website for a downloadable manual for your bike. He'll be along shortly with all kinds of other good info for you.

If you are pressing the start button and you don't get things happening first pull the connector to the solenoid and check for voltage as you press the button, if no voltage (key on of course) then the button is likely corroded as mentioned, if voltage is present you have a wonky solenoid (even if you can jump it ). It will need replacing and one from a lawn tractor, available at Lowes for around $12/15 will work fine.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you make out and post some pics of your ride.

cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. D4ND206,

About all I can do is invite you to download a wiring diagram from my website. Maybe it will help. Have you tested the switch itself to make sure it's working properly?

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

first of all thank you guys for the warm welcome! im loving the amount of info and passion for these great bikes and i hope im able to contribute to the well of The GS Recourses.

ok so on to the new problem. i cleaned and tested the circuit for the kill switch and it was all fine.
        so now im wondering if the clutch safety switch could be the problem?
        what do you think?
        i have the clymer service manual and it doesn't have what im looking for unfortunately (unless i missed it)

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
        P.S. i will have extensive pics up soon

Comment

Clutch safety switch would be my guess
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You can easily bypass the clutch safety swith... follow the lead into the headlight bucket, then simply unplug the switch bullet connections from harness, and plug them back into each other on the harness side.

JUST REMEMBER TO MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN NEUTRAL BEFORE HITTING THE STATER !!!
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

so i opened up the clutch safety switch in the actual lever and cleaned them up and still nothing, and i don't want to attempt to bypass anything yet so i have since taken it to my trusted local mechanic who will hopefully have more luck.

thanks for all the advice!
              ill keep you posted on how it turns out for those interested

P.S. does anyone know what the headlight bulb is for my 1980 gs550e?
              Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2011, 07:15 PM. Reason: adding a ps

Comment

When you changed the handle bars my guess your pulled a wire out in your headlight bucket. Two screws and it's off. Have a look and don't be scared. You don't have to take it to a mechanic for this.
                Also did you check your ignition fuse? Just because it looks good doesn't mean it is. Also check the connections in the fuse block.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by D4ND206 View Post
                  so i opened up the clutch safety switch in the actual lever and cleaned them up and still nothing, and i don't want to attempt to bypass anything yet so i have since taken it to my trusted local mechanic who will hopefully have more luck.

thanks for all the advice!
                  ill keep you posted on how it turns out for those interested

P.S. does anyone know what the headlight bulb is for my 1980 gs550e?
                  I was suggesting the bypass (takes about 2 min to do...) as a way of checking the safety switch. If it started with it bypassed, then you found the issue. Easy to switch it right back. Not rocket science...
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I'm living this right now. Might be worth reading this thread. Im getting some terrific help sorting it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X