selenoid gs650gt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

selenoid gs650gt

Well, very happy chappy here tonight, after re-fitting my carbs after rebuilding them with o ring kit and cleaning, i connected all the wiring loom up and fitted the battery and nothing, so i dead shorted the selenoid and she fired first time , and after warming her up a bit adjusted the tickover and she ran as sweet as ever with good throttle response, my question is , is the selenoid at fault , as i put my multi metre on the start switch wire and pressed the starter button and i had power there but nothing from the selenoid, i took the selenoid apart and in doing so pulled the wire from the soldered joint inside so it is now utterly shagged, i wish i had tapped it first now to see if it was just sticking, the contacts were slightly burnt but not too bad, is there anything else that could have been causing the starter button to mal function ? cheers all , jon

I'd check the clutch safety switch.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Does it have one , I never pulled the clutch in to start before !!

Comment

It should have a clutch switch unless it was disabled before.. Go to the lawn mower section at Loews or ?? you should be able to find a solenoid for cheap

Comment

I was thinking that any 12v solenoid would do if the wirings the same , yeh ?

Comment

I have a couple of good stock solenoids if you need one but Lynn is right you can get one from Lowes. (tested and true)
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

There's Lowe's in the UK?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                There's Lowe's in the UK?
                Wuh Woh

Comment

the thought counted

Comment

Originally posted by janner View Post
                    I was thinking that any 12v solenoid would do if the wirings the same , yeh ?
                    Yeah, if no Lowes, go to lawnmower repair shop and get a basic solenoid.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Wuh Woh
                      Yeah, Scooby

Janner, you pulled a bit too hard on the solenoid

The part is very common, so a bike wreckers or a mower shop should suffice
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Story of my life , too heavy handed, yeh i pulled too damn hard on the mother f**ker , i felt it "pop" as it came away and sure enough the little copper wire had parted company, bitch....

Comment

Question

I have a gs450 that will turn over if i jump the selenoid but wont do anything if push the button. is that a bad starter relay?
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

well, re soldered the little fu**er today and hey presto, it all works fine now on the button, just gotta sync the carbs now and i,m done, seems a lot lielier on the throttle now the carbs have been cleaned etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X