<--- noob needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<--- noob needs help

i just picked up my 1982 gs650g this past tuesday and am currently trying to make it into my amazing machine, i replaced the battery, did an oil change, changed the shaft drive fluid, used carburetor restorer, and now my bike does not want to start. i did a quick over view via google, and came here, i was wondering if this problem I am encountering is due to the stator being bad? please any help that you gentlemen or ladies have please share with me! thank you very much!

Welcome to the nuthouse, you could not have found a better place to get you back on the road to GS happiness, this place is filled with good folk who know the GS like the back of thier hand, and you will not find more know how and folk wlling to help anywhere.
    Basscliff will be along shortly to give you his world famous, mega welcome, that includes links to his site and more GS knowlage than you ever knew existed, he is scary.

Ok, no the stator is not needed to start or run the bike, as long as you have a good battery, the stator is there to charge the battery, not supply spark.
    But I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, you said you changed the oil, I hope you put the correct oil into the engine, these motors are very sensitive to that and only take one specific type of oil, Agip, 5W-40 full synthetic, if you put any other oil in it, and even tried to turn it over, I am afraid, you have damaged not only the cylinder bores, but the crankshaft as well and the motor will not start or run.
    The only way to remedy this is a complete strip down and rebuild, including new pistons, rings, crankshaft and all the gearbox gears and bearings.
    Of little cheer though, is your drive shart should be fine, as you did not ride it, just tried to start it, you should be able to do the job yourself but it won't be cheap, 650 parts are not easy to come by and are expensive......................sorry

OK, relax and breath again, just yanking your chain, there is nothing wrong with your motor, I am sure it is just fine.
    Can you give us a bit of history, when did the bike last run?
    What fairy tales did the previos owner tell you....
    When you say it won't start, what exactly does it do, crank over and not fire up, try to fire up, backfire, not crank at all....???
    You do know about the clutch lock out switch, you need to pull the clutch lever in when starting.

Your motor needs a few things to run;
    1 Spark
    2 Compression
    3 Fuel/air mixture
    Check for spark first, pull a spark plug out, lay the ground electrode against the motor and crank it, you should get a fat blue spark.
    I assume the compression is enough to start the bike, but no harm putting a compression tester on and checking, remember to hold the throttle wide open when you check. As a matter of course, adjust the valves.
    Carbs need to be removed, and cleaned properly, stripped, dipped and new O-Rings fitted.
    All the information on the above will be in Basscliffs welcome, so lets establish the above first and take it from there.
    Don't sweat it, we will have you riding before you know it.

Oh yes, and WE LIKE PICTURES

Comment

Kill switch on? Wouldn't be the first time that has stumpped a good wrench for a while

Comment

Ditto on thoroughly dipping the carbs. Don't think that just because you don't see anything dirty in the bowls that it means those carbs are good. And just spraying a a can of carb cleaner through there doesn't mean much either. Do it right the first time and you'll be okay.

Make sure you also change out the plugs and do a valve adjustment long before going for a major ride. In fact, you'll do well to do it while the carbs are soaking.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. frankTHEtank,

It sounds like you may have taken a couple of shortcuts when trying to fix up your bike. It's best to do all of the necessary maintenance up front, properly, the first time. Then you will at least have a baseline for further troubleshooting. See the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". A bad stator will not keep your bike from starting, but it will keep your battery from charging.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Put your location in your User Profile (goto UserCP to find that), then that location information shows up in every post.

Please tell us more about "will not start".
            Does it turn over? fast like it should?
            You verify that have spark?

Did previous owner say anything about how long it may have sat around unsued?

And do post a picture.
            82 650G, eh, we need to know if it is the black or the red 650G, before we can help you much more.

Do you have a battery charger?
            Do you have a multimeter? (volt ohm meter)

Last edited by Redman; 05-28-2011, 03:37 PM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by frankTHEtank View Post
              i just picked up my 1982 gs650g this past tuesday and am currently trying to make it into my amazing machine, i replaced the battery, did an oil change, changed the shaft drive fluid, used carburetor restorer, and now my bike does not want to start. i did a quick over view via google, and came here, i was wondering if this problem I am encountering is due to the stator being bad? please any help that you gentlemen or ladies have please share with me! thank you very much!
              Are you familiar with this bike or is it new to you? did it run before you spoiled it with this maintenance? There is a clutch safety switch- you must pull in clutch or nothing will happen- along with kill switch in right handgrip.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Wow, awesome, AWESOME responses to my tiny not so informant first post haha, ok so the bike runs, pretty smooth power band no bogging of any sort, after letting the battery sit on the charger i got my baby started and went out on a nice cruise. The main problem is getting it started, it seems like the battery is not charging, lights go on, horn works fine, but the bike just wont start. the bike does get spark, i used a little trick my father taught me. the previous owner stated "it was rebuilt" last year, but as we all know you cant trust everyone. i plan on doing a rebuild of my own to the carb this week. clutch switch means what exactly? holding in the clutch while trying to start? or is there really a separate switch that i need to flick before starting? this is my first motorcycle that i own, so i am pretty new to the bike game, i did however rebuild my first car 1990 mazda rx7 with my father, so i know how to turn a wrench lol.. like i said, thank you so much for your help gentlemen!
                Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2011, 01:30 AM.

Comment

clutch switch

No your clutch switch engages when you pull in the clutch. If you got the bike started it works. If you started it without pulling in the clutch someone rigged it up to get by. There is an oval switch under the clutch handle about an inch wide by a 1/4 inch or so narrow. With a wire lead going to it. At least on my 550.... I am sure its close to what I have going on. Hope that helps.

Comment

The clutch safety switch is actually the same part as the brake light switch that is on the other lever.
                    Look under the clutch lever.
                    If the switch is dirty/corroded or something is wrong with the wiring, it will not allow the starter to turn over.
                    On one of my bikes, the previous owner deleted it rather than repair it.

Daniel

Comment

lol its 145 AM and im going outside to see this exact switch now BRB

just checked everything is all right there. if only one of you guys lived near northern nj haha.. like i said, i only got the bike started this afternoon after letting the battery charge.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2011, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Ok, good to hear you got it going.
                        Time to read the Stator papers, you find them here, and break out the multi meter and check your bikes charging system, don't sweat it, these bikes are known for bad regulator/rectifiers, the folk here have walked many GS owners through the charging system, back to health again.
                        So, Read the stator papers, do the tests and let us know what you find.

PS: Where are the pics........not of you, of the bike

Comment

Originally posted by frankTHEtank View Post
                          ...., but the bike just wont start.....
                          ....!
                          Again, by "won't start" do you mean it turns over but engine does not fire up and run, or do you mean the engine does not turn over.
                          And I assume you are refereing to previous expereince now that it did start once (after having battery charger).

Well, if things are different after have the battery charger on, yah, that would seem like the problem is/was related to the battery and/or the charging system.

You did say thqt you had repalced the battery. BUt then you said it would not start. THen you said it did start after putting on the battery charger.
                          So maybe just the new battery didnt have a good enough charge. If battery had low or marginal charge, it may seem like everthing was okay, would turnover seemily well but not really, and voltage may be too low of the ignition system to work well.
                          ANd now that you chrged the battery maybe everthing will be okay -- for now.
                          But would be good to check the bikes charging system before you go somewhere and find yourself stranded on the side of the road somewhere.

Do you have a volt-ohm meter (maybe called multimeter) so can check the charging system?

If having a 30 year old motorcycle is not reason enough to own a multimeter, having a 30 year old GS is definatly reason enough to own a multimeter. (Having a 5 year old GS from 70s-80s would be reason enough to own a multimeter.)

Check battery voltage with engine off (off for hour or so), and check again with engine running at mid-rpm (like 4 or 5 k). With engine running any faster than an idle, the voltage should be higher than with engine off. At mid rpm, voltage should go to mid 13s to 14 or maybe low 14s (but not over 15). I am just tryiong to give you a general idea. You can find more dtatiled descriptions in various places, some will say the voltage should be should be 14.5 but those would be refereing to more modern charging systems that would have more moderen batterys. Anyway, lets not get distracted with that detaile, lets just see if your charging system is working at all.

And tell us more what you find.

>>later note.
                          Hey, wait a minute.
                          We still havent seen pics of this 82 650G.
                          Yah, we need to know if it is the black model or the red model, or maybe it might have custom paint.
                          Yah, need to know if stock exhaust or if aftemarket exhaust before can answer questions about the charging system.
                          (joking)
                          But, yah, like to see pictures.

Last edited by Redman; 05-29-2011, 07:40 AM. Reason: add later note
                          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Pics are ALWAYS good!

Comment

Welcome Frankentank! I'm hardly a GS expert, but I may be able to lure one of our more erudite members out here with a batch of home made muffins, if you need help. I think you'll get to the bottom of it soon though, these folks are GREAT at 'remote assistance'.

I see you added a bike pic to your profile today, please allow me to help you post it here. We are picture aholics here.

Nice looking bike!
                              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                              X