<--- noob needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyboy
    But I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, ....

OK, relax and breath again, just yanking your chain, there is nothing wrong with your motor, I am sure it is just fine.
    You had me going WTF there for a second.

Frank, the first thing you should do is get a compression test done if you are in a position to do so, just so you have a (very rough) baseline for the engine condition. Once you have done that the next thing I would do is a strip down of the carbs, give it a thorough cleanup (the guys here often refer to dipping the carb, but i've not readily found that kind of product where I am, so did the next best thing of a thorough strip down & soak what i can and then scrub them down with nylon brushes & poke out all the inner plumbing on my carbs with fishing line).

Then a bench sync of the carbs, which is to have them on the bench and make sure they are all starting to open at exactly the same point. Once yo've had that done, then your at a pretty reasonable starting point and may find that not much more is needed to make her easy to start.

Don't forget that each bike is unique and one starting method that may work for your bike may not work for another. I.e. my GS250 likes about half choke and a touch of throttle as she's cranked over, and is always like this when cold. Wheras my RF (ok, so it's a decade and a half newer) likes anything from 1/3 to full choke and doesn't care about it unless she hasn't been turned over in a long time, in which case it's full for the first start and "anything" for each start afterwards until she's sitting unused for a while again.

Comment

Originally posted by frankTHEtank View Post
      lol its 145 AM and im going outside to see this exact switch now BRB

just checked everything is all right there. if only one of you guys lived near northern nj haha.. like i said, i only got the bike started this afternoon after letting the battery charge.
      I don't need pics- give me mileage, etc and I'm happy! Someone rebuilt it? Did they say why? Be suspicious, and then be terrified. Hold off on carb teardown till you get familiar with ignition system on a bike- don't worry, you're likely to have lots of fun with carbs eventually.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X