No spark No turnover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark No turnover

This is my first bike and its a 1980 GS 450 L and it wont turn over. When you press the start button nothing happens at all. I put in new spark plugs and the previous owner put in a new starter. I believe it would be something with the ignition but i have no idea lol thaks for your help!!!

battery ok?
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I think so all the lights turn on and blinkers and such work.... i know nothing about bikes lol so if you know whats wrong explain it like im a 4 year old please!

Comment

Clutch switch in-op or is the kill engine switch off?

Daniel

Comment

The engine kill switch in on and where is the clutch switch lol

Comment

On the clutch lever. Try pulling in the clutch while starting.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Could be a low battery, do the lights dim when you try to start it?

Comment

Originally posted by MurrayGS View Post
                I think so all the lights turn on and blinkers and such work.... i know nothing about bikes lol so if you know whats wrong explain it like im a 4 year old please!

If you don't have a multimeter, pull the battery and take it to o'reillys or autozone for testing/recharge.

With a low battery, your lights could still come on, but not have enough juice to fire the starter.
                83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

should it liek click or something if the battery is too low to start it?

Comment

That click is the starter solenoid kicking into action, but nothing is happening because there isn't enough energy in the battery to turn the starter. If you want to continue owning a bike you should seriously consider getting a trickle charger. Just pull the battery out (remember to disconnect negative first, otherwise you might get a fireworks display if you disconnect positive first!), give it a good charge with the trickle charger until the charger thinks the battery is full, put her in (this time negative goes on last) and off you go.

That's step #1.

Comment

Usually if the battery is too low to start it you'll get multiple clicks. The click is the solenoid engaging. If the battery is low the starter will suck it down to the point where the solenoid lets go. As soon as it does that the voltage goes back up and it starts all over again...

click-click-click-click

If there's just one "click", check the battery voltage first; both before trying to start and during. Make sure the cells are at their fill points with water. Check at the starter terminal for voltage. Make sure your ground is secure to the block.

Never charge a motorcycle battery at more than 2 amps, BTW. If you use a 10-20A car charger you'll kill your battery off really quickly.

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me! so your saying just cause the lights and signals and stuff work doesnt mean the battery is completely charged? Ill go get one and try that out

Comment

Do you have a multimeter to test with? If not, go get one first before getting another battery. Test your battery when disconnected from the bike and ensure you have ~13v fully charged first. Then on the bike, see if you still have about 12.5 or higher when the key is on. Then test with the bike running, etc etc etc.

If you don't get the first couple then yea, new battery time. But get that tester first since it's your first line of troubleshooting on the electrical stuff.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ill go test that right now

Comment

as of now there is 12.29 v

Comment

Working...
                              X