Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting ready to pour diesel on this and throw a match...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready to pour diesel on this and throw a match...

So I just got done this winter swapping motors on my 81 gs550T to the M motor. No difference from what i can tell so far. I know I need a carb sync since the 2 headers on clutch side run way cool to the touch after 1min of idling while the 2 headers on the brake side after a min will burn you if you hold it more than a second. Correct me if im wrong, but i just rebuilt them also. Not really the moral issue here. The issue thats ticking me off is I have put 5-600 miles on my Bike in the last month with just minor flat spot issues and nothing breaking down but now I was at a red light 6 miles from my house and sure enough with my luck the bike instantly kills. It did not bog down and then die it just crashed. Walked her home after 2 hours and discovered i have no spark from no cylinders. none. I was so in disbelief i licked my finger and stuck it in the wire to be certain. lol. all my lights work. my fuses have light tested ok but i dont know jack about where to start metering. or finding a bad part. coils cant be bad because what are the odds both coils burn out at the same time... I have been reading up a little on this rectifier on the forums but those are so pricey I dont even wanna think that the issue lies there. Although i did feel it shortly after breaking down and it was cool/warm not hot nearly at all. But hey I dont know much about the mechanics of these things all i know is its a darn fun bike especially after i sync up the carbs since im running on 2 strong cylinders and 2 poor cylinders and thought it was a quick grocery getter. But any help as to where to go from here if you had an issue like this before would be greatly appreciated.

Baha! Well it seems I chased a bad wired to the rectifier that was an inch away from the coupler. It had deteriorated/corroded and was split in two from the inside with the insulation covering it completely no cuts or bulges... (bad wires hiding from me is not cool) and all is well now. Well if anyone ever has this happen to them heres a possible cause.

Comment

now arent you glad you didnt go waste money on diesel and perhaps a new, less characteristic, bike?

Comment

HECK YEA! LOL... Hate is a strong word but I do not like anything past 1989 motorcycle-wise. Heck I wouldnt even own a Harley unless it was a late 70's model and thats a massive maybe. I like Unique and classic GS series has it. Those new bikes no matter what Make/Model are just waaay to big and gaudy. And expensive to get parts...

Comment

Working...
        X