Coils dying off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    Your pic shows correct way to test primary coil resistance,assuming you put meter on lowest "OHM" setting (probably 200 ohm). Seems weird that you have a bunch of coils with high resistance. Go to Radio Shack and buy a 100 ohm resistor and test your meter.
    I tested them with another multimeter and the ignition coils were both around 6 ohms. That seems close enough to be able to rule them out. What else can it be? Should I just take it to a shop? How do I test the igniter, I don't really get the procedure on Bikecliff's site?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schroedingersbaby View Post
      I tested them with another multimeter and the ignition coils were both around 6 ohms. That seems close enough to be able to rule them out. What else can it be? Should I just take it to a shop? How do I test the igniter, I don't really get the procedure on Bikecliff's site?
      That sounds better, but I don't know if 6 ohm is too high as compared to 4, but maybe it's a meter problem.
      Remove signal generator cover ,remove #4 spark plug and hold against engine with plug wire attached. With ignition and kill switch on, slide a small screwdriver tip pass the signal coil for #1 and #4 (it's marked), plug #4 should spark, signalling that ignitor has picked up signal and done its thing. Does this make any sense?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I actually figured it out. I used a five pin relay for the coil mod and one of the pins that go to the coils stopped working. I tinned two wires to go to the working pin and voila spark on all four cylinders. Thanks for the help!

Now I have a better problem, I have a cracked valve cover, probably courtesy of the cheapo torque wrench i used. The bike started right up but starting spilling oil everywhere. The motorcycle gods have been looking unfavorably upon me.

Comment

Working...
        X