Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clicking when trying to start

Hi Guys,
    I had my bike running not to long ago, had to pull all the wiring off and add wiring for my dash, but this did not interfere with the main wiring loom. It was basically a secondary wiring loom all running off the fuse box, all controls work fine.

now when I try to start the bike, the ignitor solenoid clicks when I press the start button but its not cranking.
    I also noticed the earth cable gets really hot, and i saw a little bit of smoke from the negative terminal on the battery.
    I checked all the points with my multimeter and there is power everywhere.

Is the body of the ignitor solenoid meant to be earthed?
    I am thinking maybe I have fried something.

The reg/rec is all hooked up and i have made sure that the body of the reg/rec is earthed also. I am not sure if that is suspect as the bike should still run with that not connected right? the battery will just not charge.

if anyone can give me some ideas i'd apprecaite it.

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I had my bike running not to long ago, had to pull all the wiring off and add wiring for my dash, but this did not interfere with the main wiring loom. It was basically a secondary wiring loom all running off the fuse box, all controls work fine.

now when I try to start the bike, the ignitor solenoid clicks when I press the start button but its not cranking.
    I also noticed the earth cable gets really hot, and i saw a little bit of smoke from the negative terminal on the battery.
    I checked all the points with my multimeter and there is power everywhere.

Is the body of the ignitor solenoid meant to be earthed?
    I am thinking maybe I have fried something.

The reg/rec is all hooked up and i have made sure that the body of the reg/rec is earthed also. I am not sure if that is suspect as the bike should still run with that not connected right? the battery will just not charge.

if anyone can give me some ideas i'd apprecaite it.
    We call that the " starter solenoid " (not the " ignitor solenoid" ) - it's just a switch to send positive juice to starter motor. If it's clicking, it's working sorta. Earth cable getting hot means lots of current going to starter motor, but motor is not turning- might be locked up. Disconnect large wire going to starter and see if that earth cable still gets hot.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I disconnected the wire going from the starter solenoid to the battery and the earth does not get hot. The starter solenoid still clicks...Checked if the engine was in gear and its not...

Comment

I worked it out. I am an idiot.
        I had the positive cable going from the battery to the solenoid, and the negative terminal that was meant to run to the starter was running directly to the battery, not to the solenoid. i had another cable going from negative battery to negtive on the solenoid.
        I cant belive that....

I had the cables off the bike for that long that i forgot what goes where.

im a douche. Thanks guys.
        bike is starting now

Comment

Working...
        X