Yet another Rectifier problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another Rectifier problem

But, even an electrically challenged dumb azz such as myself, figured it out!

And the story begins...

About 2 weeks ago, I bought yet another basket case '798 GS1000E missing practically everything:

Fuel tank
    Seat
    Tail section
    Brake light and all turn signals
    Gauges
    Carburators
    Battery
    Etc.

So, just for giggles, today (while not being followed around by children in the OT section: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=176571&page=5),
    I tried to make it run!

After installing a fully charged battery and a couple of spare ground wires, I turned the key on and hit the starter button... nothing!
    So,I crossed the starter solenoid and it turned over but no spark.
    I noticed that whatever this is, was missing:

So off to one of my trusty '79 L model parts bikes I go (that IS ALL that they are good for after all. )
    and stole one to install on this E model. Still no spark.
    Then I find (using a glass fuse type CIRCUIT BREAKER) that it STILL has voltage with the key off!
    Then, I thought that the points were probably F'd up and checked them:

Sure enough, they were buggered up real good. I used some trusty (don't ever do this) SANDPAPER and cleaned the buggers up.
    Still no spark!
    Moving around the wiring on the nakid bike looking for shorted wires, I find 6 wires that appear to be welded together.
    (forgot to take a before pic. )
    I then carefully separated them from each other and still has power with the key off!
    4 of the wires ran to the problematic rectifier!:

Back to the trusty '79 L parts bike.
    I get a very nice (no burned wires/original tag still legible) rectifier.
    Before simply dirrect wiring it to the E model and possibly destroying a good part,
    I decided to just cut the 4 wires and leave them out into the atmosphere.
    NO MORE POWER WITH THE KEY OFF!
    I just might be on to something now.
    I sprayed some carb cleaner into the carb-less intake manifolds:

And I now have a running bike!

And soon, a new thread on gathering parts laying around my GS graveyard/storage sheds and making it a
    multi-colored, complete rideable bike!

If I can figure it out, any of you can.

Daniel

How cool is it to have your very own GS graveyard, I want one too! But I just do not have sufficient land and my neighbors are on the uptight side of life.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      But, even an electrically challenged dumb azz such as myself,
      If I can figure it out, any of you can.

Daniel
      Well, I not convinced about that "any of you can" stuff. But the chrome looks nice on this bike- is it very dry in Northern Nevada? That R/R looks like a couple I have- both failed a simple diode test.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Had the same looking wires as you and it turned out the R/R and stator were bad. Thank god for the Stator papers and Duange R/R. New stator, R/R and a complete rewire all is good now.

Comment

I'm glad you got it figured out, but the charging system shouldn't effect the spark so I don't understand. And that "black box" you changed out is the turn signal control unit, and likewise doesn't effect spark. Aw, never mind...
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by TPL View Post
            How cool is it to have your very own GS graveyard, I want one too! But I just do not have sufficient land and my neighbors are on the uptight side of life.
            I usually just keep the engines and offer the other parts for sale here.
            Now, I have dug myself into a hole as I have sold all of my twin cable throttles off and this bike, needs a missing return cable!
            I doubt that I will find a twin throttle assembly as cheap as I sold the ones that I HAD.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I'm glad you got it figured out, but the charging system shouldn't effect the spark so I don't understand. And that "black box" you changed out is the turn signal control unit, and likewise doesn't effect spark. Aw, never mind...
              The rectifier was a DEAD SHORT. All of the positive was grounded in it.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                The rectifier was a DEAD SHORT. All of the positive was grounded in it.

Daniel

Comment

It starts with the starter button now.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                  X