Dyna S Ignition + Two Orange/White wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S Ignition + Two Orange/White wires

I'm trying to install a Dyna S ignition (with Accel coils) on my 79 GS1000 but I'm kinda stumped with the red wire switch. The diagram shows that the Orange/White wires that come out of each coil should merge at some point into a single wire and thats where you install the switch for the red wire. As far as I can tell, that's not the case with mine. The two individual O/W wires just go straight into the harness.

Anyone have any experience with this? Advice?

Although I haven't looked very hard at mine, I would have to ASSUME they join together somewhere in that harness. If you are doing this much, you might want to unwrap it and look to see what's going on.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

This is a Dyna S with Coil relay mod. Kinda good to do that to keep good power to the entire ignition system

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

The O/W wires are switched power from the right hand kill switch. They are crimped together just under the tape where you see them enter the harness.

I normally cut the path from the kill switch to the crimp and power the entire ignition circuit from a Coil Relay Mod from down where the igniter would plug in.

Since you probably have points and no igniter, you just have to find someplace where the O/W are and power from there. The Crimp at the coils is fine if you don't mind running a wire up there.

P.S. that red wire is the Dyna Power and it needs connecting to the O/W wire crimps wrapped in electical tape just inside of the harness. Flow a little solder into that crimp as well to prevent corrosion.
      Last edited by posplayr; 06-01-2011, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Ditto that, just did mine and it picked up the O/W kill switch wire about 2 inches forward of where they go into the harness. Just carefully peel and should be right there if thats where you want to power up from.

Comment

The Dyna doesn't draw much; you can just clip it on to either of the O/W coil wires. You don't have to go looking for a junction if your voltages are good. I second the suggestion to do the coil relay mod at the same time though.

How mine used to be wired (pre-coil relay mod):

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
            The Dyna doesn't draw much; you can just clip it on to either of the O/W coil wires. You don't have to go looking for a junction if your voltages are good. I second the suggestion to do the coil relay mod at the same time though.

How mine used to be wired (pre-coil relay mod):

all those connections are opportunities for voltage drops so you need to evaluate the best approach to minimizing connections. the 16v bikes with ignitors don't have those connectors near the coils and all the wires are accessible where the original ignitor would plug it.

Comment

Working...
            X