X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick's Stator, 2 questions...

Folks,

My new Rick's stator arrived today and I have a couple questions:

1. The wires coming off the stator are secured to one of the coils with what looks like a synthetic string. Am I supposed to swap the screw down clip from the old stator to the new one, or is the string fine?

2. I get ZERO resistance between any of the stator leads. Now, it is possible that my multimeter took a crap, but on any of the ohm ranges, I see zero resistance. I have a Wavetek Meterman DM7... I can't beleive that a new stator would be toast...

Hi,

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
    1. The wires coming off the stator are secured to one of the coils with what looks like a synthetic string. Am I supposed to swap the screw down clip from the old stator to the new one, or is the string fine?
    "Screw down clip"? Inside the stator cover are a couple of "clips". You just loosen them, put the sheathed wires under them, and screw the clips back on to hold the wires. But I'm not entirely sure what "clip" you are talking about. Are you talking about a clip on the stator itself? I've seen zip ties on one or two to hold the wires in place.

This is the Rick's stator that I installed last time. I put it in just like I received it. Well, after changing the connectors, that is.

2. I get ZERO resistance between any of the stator leads. Now, it is possible that my multimeter took a crap, but on any of the ohm ranges, I see zero resistance. I have a Wavetek Meterman DM7... I can't beleive that a new stator would be toast...
    This could be because your resistance range is set to high. You should see around .2 to .5 ohms of resistance. Maybe your meter doesn't measure that low?

I like the Rick's stators. I've tried a few and I think Rick's is the best.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Bascliff,

Thanks for the picture!!! Your stator looks just like mine - see the white string that holds the wire to the back of the stator? OEM stators have an insulated clip that threads into the base of the stator itself. In any case, considering the picture you just sent, I'm going to leave that string in place and just intall the stator in the cover.

Also, I think your assumption is correct about my multimeter - I think I'm going to purchase a newer-style auto ranging meter. As I said, I doubt a brand-new stator (especially one from Rick's) is toast...

Once again, thanks for your help!

Comment

When you say meter shows no resistance, do you mean zero ohms or do you mean infinite (open)?

One way to check meter in ohm scale is to touch the meter leads togeter, should then see something happen and meter read 0.0 or about 0.0 ohms. If it doesnt then have problem with meter leads, or wrong setting, or leads plugged in wrong place, or bad battery in meter (even an analog meter will need battery for reading ohms).

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
        X