Odd Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Problem

So my 82 ALWAYS turns over, battery seems good. I usually have to start it a few times to get it idling right but that never bothers me. What happened twice in the last few times I rode it is it would completely die on me. It would just start missing hard and die, but then when it cooled down, it would start right up again.

Currently, it's sitting about a 1/10 of a mile down my street because it just did what I said, and I really can't figure it out. Pulled a plug and it's dry so I didn't flood the cylinders. I pulled the 2 outside plugs and left them on the wire and it wasn't sparking when I was turning it over. Also, when I had a plug out of the outside cylinder, it sounded like it was almost about to start.

Does this mean my coil for the outside plugs might be the culprit? I was thinking this might be a common problem I just wanted to look around. The thing that confused me is that it would start right up again when cold after the last time this happened.

Thanks,
    Clint

If you expect ignition problem, your manual should describe a pulsing coil ohm test. You can also test primary coils for good spark with a simple tester, obviously do all tests while the bike is warmed up. Coils can show failure only when hot and not cold. Good luck.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

If everything is normal, using full "choke" from cold start,bike should start instantly and rpms will shoot up till you reduce "choke" to maybe 1/4. Drive off, and in about 1 mile or so, turn off "choke", should idle fine assuming your carbs are clean! Also have you cleaned the electrical stuff? If your bike is dying a mile down the street and your plugs aren't wet, I'd suspect a lean condition when the "choke" is off.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TPL View Post
        If you expect ignition problem, your manual should describe a pulsing coil ohm test. You can also test primary coils for good spark with a simple tester, obviously do all tests while the bike is warmed up. Coils can show failure only when hot and not cold. Good luck.
        Thanks! I walked this sucker home (heavy!) and put it on the battery charger to make sure that I could rule that out and about a half hour it turned on. I guess the battery had enough to turn the light and dash on but not enough to get the plugs to fire. Lesson learned. I usually would let the bike sit for a few minutes and take it out but I guess I need to really get it heated up all the way before I take it out again.

Question, do bikes have some way to keep the battery charged like cars do? I know cars have alternators to keep the charge running, but I'm not too familiar with the electrical systems on bikes

Comment

Originally posted by AudiA4_20T View Post
          Thanks! I walked this sucker home (heavy!) and put it on the battery charger to make sure that I could rule that out and about a half hour it turned on. I guess the battery had enough to turn the light and dash on but not enough to get the plugs to fire. Lesson learned. I usually would let the bike sit for a few minutes and take it out but I guess I need to really get it heated up all the way before I take it out again.

Question, do bikes have some way to keep the battery charged like cars do? I know cars have alternators to keep the charge running, but I'm not too familiar with the electrical systems on bikes

Your bike has a permanent magnet alternator. Read the staotr papers and go through the tests to assure your charging system is within spec. The information should be int he Mega-welcome if you got it.
          You charging system is probably not keeping up with the demands on it. You will only end up ruining a battery by cycling it too many times.
          Do the tests dude. Pushing a bike is no fun. Pulling one is only slighty better.

Comment

Your OP states that your battery is good, are you having to charge your battery up after a ride? If so you have an issue with the bikes charging system.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              If everything is normal, using full "choke" from cold start,bike should start instantly and rpms will shoot up till you reduce "choke" to maybe 1/4. Drive off, and in about 1 mile or so, turn off "choke", should idle fine assuming your carbs are clean! Also have you cleaned the electrical stuff? If your bike is dying a mile down the street and your plugs aren't wet, I'd suspect a lean condition when the "choke" is off.
              Ok, so I can get the bike to start every time now on a cold start, but it takes a lot of messing with the choke. It'll hit, then I have to ease it off to get it to hit again, and then give it more, etc etc until it starts. Could this be a problem with the carbs and not the electrical system?

Comment

Ok, so I can get the bike to start every time now on a cold start, but it takes a lot of messing with the choke. It'll hit, then I have to ease it off to get it to hit again, and then give it more, etc etc until it starts. Could this be a problem with the carbs and not the electrical system?
                If you have to fiddle with choke excessively. your pilot jets/passages are probably restricted so the bike can't get enough fuel when choke is turned down/off. As you know, this is a very common problem. Best to head to Basscliff's and review carb cleaning. An alternative- but unlikely to work- is to go get can of Seafoam, follow directions and pray that clouds of white smoke will save you from carb removal.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

What maintenance have you done to your bike? Have you cleaned the carbs? Adjusted the valves? Have you gone through The Stator Papers? Have you tested your battery? How old is the battery? Have you cleaned every electrical connection on the entire wiring harness? Have you replaced the spark plug caps or spark plugs? What do the spark plugs look like?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You said when you had plugs out that they were not sparking. You didn't say that you had the plugs grounded to the engine block ..... I am just asking to verify.

Your statments about having to start it a few times before getting it to idle doesnt sound like ignition problem. Sounds more like carbs needing cleaning and/or valves needing adjustment.

You have had this bike since May 2009?

....Question, do bikes have some way to keep the battery charged like cars do? I know cars have alternators to keep the charge running, but I'm not too familiar with the electrical systems on bikes
                    Yes, has something like alternator, but on a car it is A altenator all in one unit. On your GS you have a stator in the engine case (which is an 3 phase alternating current generator) and then somewhere like on bottom of battery box is a Rectifyer/Regulator (which converts it to direct current and regulates to about 13 volts DC).
                    If you have a volt mneter, just check the battery voltage with engine reunning at mid rpms, battery should be at 13 or 13.5 or maybe 14 vdc. IF so then charging is charging, and you dont need to know much more about it. Most GS ownners do get to learn more about it at some point.

But for now, hows it going with how the engine runs?

Yes, Yes, carb problem, likley like carbs need cleaning.
                    And maybe valves need adjusting.

For carb cleaning, can try the carb cleaner in gas, ... but for real carb cleaning, go back to GSR home page (not forum, the GSR home page) and look for In the Garage, the carb cleaning series. Cliff also has a version of that on his web site.

Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2011, 11:15 PM.
                    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                    X