Oil warning light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil warning light

Got a ticket on the GSX750ET yesterday and went for a ride of about 150 miles - first real shakedown since I've owned it. Goes very well with a slight head oil weep (probably sort that in the winter as it's nothing).

The question I've got is about the oil warning pressure switch. After about 30 miles the red oil warning light came on so I stopped immediately and switched off. Couldn't find any problems so started up again and all was fine for a couple of miles when it came on again. This time as I was pulling over the light went off so I carried on riding. This kept repeating and I soon found out that if I jolted the bike in a pothole the light would go out every time. Everything else goes fine so this looks like false alarm territory to me. Bit of a pain having to look for holes to give the bike a jolt and unnerving riding with the warning light on but I was having fun so what the heck.

This morning I've pulled all the wiring out, pulled the switch etc and tugged and pulled everything looking for a short. I couldn't find anything. I haven't taken the loom to bits; if it is wiring it'll be easier to just throw on another lead outside the loom. Chucking it down with rain now so no chance of a test ride today.

Is there an easy way of testing the switch? This is the type that screws in to the oil filter cover and is one piece, not like the switches that sit behind the cam chain tensioner on other models.

Or is there something else I'm missing? Oil level is fine by the way and oil is fresh 10/40.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Seems like there was a thread a while ago about the wire for the oil light sometimes rubbing on another wire, or maybe a cable, can't remember which. When it grounds, the light comes on. Do a search for that thread, you may find it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not familiar with that model but, are the side stand switch and the oil lite switch on the same line. Perhaps when hitting a bump causes the side stand switch to activate itself. On my models 82 they are on the same circuit. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
        Not familiar with that model but, are the side stand switch and the oil lite switch on the same line. Perhaps when hitting a bump causes the side stand switch to activate itself. On my models 82 they are on the same circuit. Bob
        Thanks for the thought Bob but Mr Suzuki didn't see fit to put a side stand switch on the 750ET. It's a single green and yellow wire that runs from the switch up to the bulb, though it does disappear in to the morasse of the main harness in the middle.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Ended up just replacing the length of wire from the switch to the main harness. I couldn't get this wire to short though there was a spot where the insulation had been flattened by over-judicious tightening of the little tabs that hold it in place underneath the clutch housing. Put on about 200 miles this week, including looking for potholes to set the thing off, and the light didn't come on once. I think I'll call it sorted.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
          X