GS1000 Main fuse keeps blowing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Main fuse keeps blowing..

It doesn't blow immediately.. The bike will crank and run fine but the fuse will eventually blow while riding.

I've searched this forum and read posts by others with this issue, so I know to check the connections and the batter voltage, as the R/R could be a possible culprit.

I have a couple of questions though, concerning other possible causes..

When I got the bike, I completely removed the speedomoter/tach.. I just clipped the wires and removed it. However, I taped all the ends and no wires are making contact with anything. Is there anything inside the speedo/tach housing that needs to be connected that may be causing it to blow?

Also, when I took off the carbs to clean them, I noticed a short wire connected to the carbs on one end.. Not sure what it was supposed to be connected to, but when I took them apart it fell off.. I can't figure any reason the carbs should have an electrical wire connected to them in the first place? Unless its some kind of ground? Like I said, when I took the them apart the wire fell off, and I can't see where its supposed to be reconnected. So that one is confusing me. Maybe it has something to do with it? Is it supposed to have some kind of wire connected to it?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM.

Originally posted by plumbergs View Post
    It doesn't blow immediately.. The bike will crank and run fine but the fuse will eventually blow while riding.

I've searched this forum and read posts by others with this issue, so I know to check the connections and the batter voltage, as the R/R could be a possible culprit.

You did do quick stator test, to make sure you had a decent stable output? Both at idle and 5000 rpms? The main fuse - once bike is running- is normally receiving power from R/R and delivering it to battery for recharging it. Most of output from R/R is going directly to power stuff- ignition, lights, ipads, etc.
    Put year/model of bike in your signature to lure others into diagnosing.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      You did do quick stator test, to make sure you had a decent stable output? Both at idle and 5000 rpms? The main fuse - once bike is running- is normally receiving power from R/R and delivering it to battery for recharging it. Most of output from R/R is going directly to power stuff- ignition, lights, ipads, etc.
      Put year/model of bike in your signature to lure others into diagnosing.
      I haven't tested anything yet.. Will do so next weekend. Just wanted to get a list of possible culprits before I tear into it.

Thanks for the reply, I edited me sig to include the model of bike.

Comment

Working...
      X