new r/r failed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new r/r failed!

Just got a new stator and r/r few months ago, and hadn't ridden it more than 100-200 miles. Checked battery recently and a couple of the cell were low on water. So today decided to check volts. All readings were low no matter the rpms. So started doing the stator paper tests. Never got above 13.8 at 2500 rpms or 5000. Never got more than 1.0v on the r/r test for red wire. Didn't think connections were the problem since red from r/r was direct to batt. with fuse. and neg. was direct to batt. and also ground from r/r case and good ground. Tried charging batt. for hrs. and never seemed to fully charge. Bought a new sealed type, charged for few hrs. and checked volts, getting 12.8 at idle but jumped to over 15 at 2500 and over 16 at 5000! Again connections were all good. So decided to replace r/r with honda r/r i had gotten before from Duanage. Got it hooked up and after changing the sense wire around a couple of times, I finally hook it direct to pos. on battery. Got 12.8 key off, 12.4 key on,12.9 at idle, and 14.4 at 2500 and 5000 rpms. I know that is high at 2500, but this is ok? I'm pretty sure the other r/r had boiled some fluid out of the old battery. So these volts should be ok and no problem with that, right? Also tested stator and got 1.2 ohms on that test, and 88 volts(all three wires) at 5000 rpms test. Sorry this is so long, but just to want to reassure myself everything is ok now. Planning on order a volt meter for the bike so I can keep tract of this all the time. thanks terrylee
    Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2011, 10:12 PM.

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
    14.4 at 2500 and 5000 rpms. I know that is high at 2500, but this is ok?
    14.4 is perfect.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

It would be better to have a higher voltage at idle, but 14.4V at 2500 will keep you charged, still, the V at idle seems low. In other words, you are not charging at idle perhaps.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2011, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Your numbers look good. Make sure all of your connections are clean. Some members have reported a battery drain when the sense wire is connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery. Maybe a relay connection would be better?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys,Cliff will see if I can figure out how to do the relay on the sense wire. Ordered a volt meter for it last night. terrylee

Comment

Working...
          X