turn signal problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signal problems

the turn signals on my 1982 gs1100L don't work when I install the canceling unit into the wiring harness. but if I remove it they work fine. Does the engine have to running for the signals to work?

With the engine running, the voltage is higher, so the turn signal relay works. How good/well charged is your battery? When you turn on the ignition, your headlight and all other lights are on, voltage usually drops to about 10.6-11.2 depending on how many lights you're illuminating at the time, so it's not normally enough voltage for the signal relay. Hook up your 2 amp trickle charger, charge the battery and try it with the charger on if you don't want to start it.

Comment

I put a charger on the bike. no change. the signals work when I remove the self canceling unit but don't when I plug it in, can the the canceling unit go bad?

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the self-cancelling unit can go bad. There should be a test procedure in your manual. I've learned to live without the self-cancelling after replacing my turn signal relay with a cheap, off the shelf part.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I also disabled the self cancelling unit on my 850 when it went bad. To top it off, the left hand switch disintegrated, so now my bike sports a control off of a '78 Honda 'Wing.

Comment

I had replace the self canceling "black box" on my 82, seems quite common.

Comment

Working...
            X