GS550 Turn Signal Relay Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Turn Signal Relay Wires

1984 GS550 ES: Got the bike with no turn signal relay, I presume the double white connector in the pic is for a dual plug relay, but can't figure out the black connector. Anyone know what its for?

Looking at a wiring diagram that states it's for an '83 ES, I only see three wires going to the turn signal relay.
    Can't imagine why they would split them into more than one connector.

Your picture is a bit hard to see, what are the wire colors in each connector?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The black wire is a ground. You can probably use a 552 2-prong flasher with just the white connector. The pre-83 550s only had the 2-prong connector, and neither was a ground.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2011, 09:11 PM. Reason: 552, not 522

Comment

This is probably more like what you need:

This CF13 (aka EP34) is an electronic turn signal flasher that operates at 12V. 3-pin CF13 EP34 Electronic LED Flasher Relay Fix for LED Turn Signal, Blinker Corner Light Bulbs (youtu.be/IdS6lL19Y7k).

three pins. According to the Clymer diagram for your bike you should have a Green/Orange wire which is your B+, a "Sky Blue" which goes to the turn signal switch (that's your load), and the Black/White ground.

Comment

I did pick up a 3 prong relay (Tridon EP35), posts are marked E, B, and L.

Wires are b/w on the black connector. The white connector is orange w/green stripe, and light blue. The orange/green stripe has 12v with the key on.

Using a stock 2 prong relay that I tested. I wired the o/g to the X prong and the light blue to the L prong.
          The b/w is now wired direct to the neg on the battery.

I'll start wiring up the lights and see what happens!

Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

No power to the signal lights. When I turn the key on, there is constant 12v on the o/g wire to the relay. I'm thinking power should only be there when I activate the turn signal switch on the handlebar ???

Comment

What you have found and done up to now is correct. What you were thinking is not!
              The Orange/green wire puts out battery to the flasher unit when the ignition switch is on. The Blue wire goes to the flasher direction switch where it connects to either the left or right flasher lights. The ground on the flasher bulbs supply the ground via the filament for the flasher unit to work.

You must have both front and rear bulbs connected as the total current draw usually determines the flasher flashing rate. The 3 pin or electronic flasher units flash normally regardless of the load, thus even with one bulb out or blown.

By the way the black plug is the ground (E) if you use a 3 prong flasher that usually is not load dependent or called an electronic flasher.

Have a look at the wiring diagram for your bike it shows it more clearly.

Comment

Thanks everyone, finally got it sorted out !!

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
                  Thanks everyone, finally got it sorted out !!
                  Could you share the result as it may help others?

Comment

As you stated all the lights must be wired up for a 2 prong relay to work. Once I hooked up all the lights they worked !!

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
                      As you stated all the lights must be wired up for a 2 prong relay to work. Once I hooked up all the lights they worked !!

Glad you sorted it out! Some flashers flash faster with a blown bulb, others flash slower or stop flashing. It can be confusing.
                      Keep well!

Comment

Working...
                      X