Bike runs but no readings from coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike runs but no readings from coil

I have what I can only describe as a "sputter". When cruising the bike spits and sputters and recently No.4 cylinder keeps fouling out. I have replaced the wires, plugs and caps. I took one of the coils out just to take a reading and according to the service manual, I am supposed to have a reading of 3-5 ohms on the primary and 30-50 ohms on the secondary. I put the multi tester in and got NOTHING. Am I missing something? Tried searching and couldnt seem to find anything about sputtering or anything on my bike. Anyone have any Ideas or suggestions? Need to get this thing running asap.

Do you have the wires disconnected from the primary terminals?

If you don't, you may not see the correct readings.

For the secondary side resistance, read the book again, you should be seeing 30-50k ohms. That's THIRTY TO FIFTY THOUSAND ohms.

Measure that from one spark plug cap to the other.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

put a matchbook cover in between the points to hold them open and then try it.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        put a matchbook cover in between the points to hold them open and then try it.
        On an '83 750 (the one in his signature), there are no points.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Yea sorry guys I just realized I didnt put what bike. It is an 83 GS750E. Also I forgot the put the "k" in the 30-50. I took the entire coil out and disconnected it. I get zero all the way around.

Comment

dint read his sig......
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

3 to 5 ohms isn't much. Your meter should be set at ohms x 1

Comment

Do you have OEM plug caps? Aftermarket caps may have about 5K less ohms on each cap meaning your reading of 25K might be all right if you have the aftermarkets.
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

No, Im using NGK caps (5ohm) I believe they are VD05F's. Going to check the other coil to see what its at and go from there.

Comment

took the caps off and measured directly from the wires and got 15k. Looks like Im looking at new coils. Anyone out there have any good suggestions????
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

also, still no reading form the primary side on either coil....

Comment

Originally posted by smarzinski View Post
                        No, Im using NGK caps (5ohm) I believe they are VD05F's. Going to check the other coil to see what its at and go from there.
                        Again, you are missing the K. Those caps are 5k ohms.

took the caps off and measured directly from the wires and got 15k. Looks like Im looking at new coils. Anyone out there have any good suggestions????
                        In stock form, it is measured from plug cap to plug cap. The plug caps have 5k resistance, so if you include both of them, you would be reading 25k.

also, still no reading form the primary side on either coil....
                        When you say "no reading", are you reading Zero (as in 'direct short') or OL (as in 'out of range' or 'open')?

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

My stock plug caps measure 11K ohms each approximately. If you include 2 of those plus your 15K ohms wire to wire measurement you would come up with 37K ohms. I don't think your 25K ohm measurement cap to cap with the NGK's is a problem.

On my coils, to measure primary, I have to make sure to get a real good contact with my cheapo meter. Are you sure you have the meter set in the proper range to measure ohms instead of K ohms?
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

When you say "no reading", are you reading Zero (as in 'direct short') or OL (as in 'out of range' or 'open')?

When the multimeter is not connected to anything and turned on it reads "1". When I connect the contacts to the primary side of the coil it still reads "1". Tried every ohm setting and get the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                              My stock plug caps measure 11K ohms each approximately. If you include 2 of those plus your 15K ohms wire to wire measurement you would come up with 37K ohms. I don't think your 25K ohm measurement cap to cap with the NGK's is a problem.

On my coils, to measure primary, I have to make sure to get a real good contact with my cheapo meter. Are you sure you have the meter set in the proper range to measure ohms instead of K ohms?
                              Got some new leads for the meter, got a reading of 4 ohms on the primary side. My caps tested to 5k ohms each and the coils without the caps tested at 15k ohms. If im understanding this thats only 25k ohms.

Comment

Working...
                              X