Right Hand switch on 1982 650 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right Hand switch on 1982 650 G

Have just bought a very lightly used 650G but its missing the little start button on the rh control switch.

Short of buying a new one, have found some at scrap yards but from different models, and years, but all 650's. Have scoured their respective part numbers and they are different, however could they still be made to work? Alternatively has anyone ever made a button and its respective contact?

Cheers and great info on the forum.

Alex

Originally posted by alexhallmalta View Post
    Have just bought a very lightly used 650G but its missing the little start button on the rh control switch.

Short of buying a new one, have found some at scrap yards but from different models, and years, but all 650's. Have scoured their respective part numbers and they are different, however could they still be made to work? Alternatively has anyone ever made a button and its respective contact?

Cheers and great info on the forum.

Alex
    Just the button, so if you press in with pencil the starter solenoid will engage? or are innards missing too? These rh switches are all over ebay- you should be able to acquire the entire assembly cheap. Does bike run? how lightly used? Be sure to follow the link to Basscliff's site to get this 650 back to happy days!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. alexhallmalta,

Well, a button is a button and a contact is a contact. You can probably make one of the other switches work but I have no first-hand knowledge. Are the junkyard parts from GS650 bikes?

As for the right handle switch assembly, part# 37200-49470, that same part is also used on the following:

• 1982 SUZUKI GN250Z - RIGHT HANDLE SWITCH
      • 1982 SUZUKI GS450GAZ (Automatic) - RIGHT HANDLE SWITCH
      • 1982 SUZUKI GS650EZ - RIGHT HANDLE SWITCH (MODEL Z)
      • 1982 SUZUKI GS650GZ - RIGHT HANDLE SWITCH (MODEL Z)
      • 1982 SUZUKI GS750EZ - RIGHT HANDLE SWITCH
      • 1982 SUZUKI GS750TZ - RIGHT HANDLE SWITCH (MODEL Z)
      • 1982 SUZUKI GS850GZ - RIGHT HANDLE SWITCH
      • 1983 SUZUKI GN250D - RIGHT HANDLE SWITCH
      • 1983 SUZUKI GS450GAD (Automatic) - RIGHT HANDLE SWITCH

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

RH Switch.

BassCliff & Tom203,

Thank you for your very prompt and helpful replies. As well as welcoming me to GS.

Yes a switch is a switch and glad to know that they are shared by other models aswell. So to cut to the chase as of yesterday afternoon, bought one from scrap yard in NH for $20. In the post as we speak.

The innards of the current switch are still there, just no button, spring or contact. Infact by shorting out the contact inside with a pair of long nose pliers the starter operates. Am still not giving up on making a new button but at $20 for a newish second hand one is not bad.

So some info about the bike. Was looking for something to travel with in the US but wanted an upright seating position and nothing too complicated to keep running. Saw a couple of XS's and CB's from the same era but all in the 1200+ price range. Whilst browzing through Craigslist saw an ad for the GS650G. Same owner from new, bought new in 1984 from old Suzuki dealer just down the road in Newport RI. First registration is June 1984, but the bike is a 1982 model GS650G. The bike was ridden to work in the summer and garaged in the winter. Last used as a commuter some 15 years ago, and since then just used occasionally, usage stopped 2 years ago due to button falling off! Total mileage 11,465. All parts there including handbook,toolkit and original tile and bill of sale from dealer. It cranked over and fired but would only run on choke and the minute throttle applied died. No smoke or rattles from top end.

So thats the long and short of it. I have the carbs sitting on a window sill to begin pulling apart this afternoon and bits and bobs for them coming from the suppliers recommended in the GS Resources.

One of the reasons for going for this Suzuki in particular was the depth of info and supplies available.

My other two bikes, back in Malta, which is where I m from, are a Douglas Mk3 Sport and a Douglas Mk 4, from 1948 and 50 respectively. I rode them much in classic rallies etc, not withstanding one being bought in a cardboard box.

I m in the US for the next few years, my wife is American, which is why besides rc gliding I needed to get two wheels up and running!

By the way removing the carbs from the 650 is quite a squeeze, the airbox doesn t come out before the carbs! Look forward to catching up.

Any one in the area of Rhode Island?

Comment

Working...
        X