no turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no turn signals

got an electrical question here for yah, 81 GS1100 turn signal will light up on the what ever side indicated by the switch but will not flash they just stay lit. if you rev it up to about 4000rpm they start to flash very slow. Tested the generator and comes back right in spec with all the tests suggested by the factory service manual. not sure where to go from here, could it be the turn signal relay and if so is it just a standard 3 wire turn signal relay?

No, it's not a "standard" flasher unit, a direct replacement is NOT available at any auto parts store.

If your voltage is proper, check the bulbs. If they all come on but don't flash, make sure they are the proper bulbs.

I think the proper bulb is a 1073, but the 1156 will work just fine.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

just pulled the bulbs and they are all correct, and all wiring is in good condition. with the key turned on but the motor off you can hear the relay tick as the lights come on but they just stay solid. and the same goes with the engine running until you hit 4000 or so rpm.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. thirdgen427,

Whenever my blinkers act this way it's because the battery voltage is low. The battery voltage gets low because the charging system is not working properly. I suggest cleaning every electrical connection on the bike, including the fuse box and ignition switch, move the regulator/rectifier ground connection directly to the negative battery terminal, then test according to The Stator Papers, then see the additional information HERE and HERE. Most of the information you'll need to get your bike in tip-top shape is right here in your "mega-welcome".

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by thirdgen427 View Post
          ... with the key turned on but the motor off ... the lights come on but they just stay solid. and the same goes with the engine running until you hit 4000 or so rpm.
          What is the voltage at the battery under these circumstances?
          Please give both, the resting voltage and the voltage at 4,000 rpm.

That is exactly why I made this part of my original statement:
          Originally posted by Steve View Post
          If your voltage is proper, ...

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks there's a lot a real good information here, I'm in the process of testing the stator now. stumbled upon this in the process, the wire running from the starter to the starter solenoid has continuity to ground. at the risk of sounding dumb is this correct???

Comment

Working...
            X