Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter Drags at times

i have a 81 gs 750L
    my starter drags at times and other times it doesn't, i have replaced the starter and it still does it,i have cleaned all connections and replaced the relay also, i also have sprayed contact cleaner in the stater button.still does it,could it be the battery?i is older and i don't know how old as it came in the bike.Lights are dim until you get up some rpms.any ideas? Thanks for your time

Originally posted by lakesguypaul View Post
    i have a 81 gs 750L
    my starter drags at times and other times it doesn't, i have replaced the starter and it still does it,i have cleaned all connections and replaced the relay also, i also have sprayed contact cleaner in the stater button.still does it,could it be the battery?i is older and i don't know how old as it came in the bike.Lights are dim until you get up some rpms.any ideas? Thanks for your time
    Get a new battery and save your starter from overwork! Dimming lights, slow starter are symptoms of weak battery- your charging system will need checking but you need a good battery for the tests.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. lakesguypaul,

Have a look at this article collected on my little website - Diagnosing Slow Cranking - and see if it helps. Start by cleaning every electrical connection on the entire wiring harness. Your bike will love you for it.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by lakesguypaul View Post
        i have a 81 gs 750L

Please describe more about starter "dragging".
        You mean not turning as fast as you think it should?
        Or are you hearing some grinding/dragging?

To answer your question: Yes, it could be the battery being weak.
        And/or, it could be the charging system not fully charging the battery.

When you say lights are dim, I quess that is kinda hard to quantify.
        But is normal to be brighter at higher rpms (as comapred to idle).
        Real test would be to have a volt meter and check battery/charging voltage at idle and at mid (4-5thou) rpm.

SOme folks dont get much more than 2 years out of a battery. Others get 4 years depending on how is maintained over off season and other things. (but you dont kow how old it is)

You check the battery fluid level?

You have a volt meter?

You have a battery charger?

If you have replaced the starter and the relay (solenoid), that is pretty much the entire system, except for the battery.
        THe starter button either pulls in the solonoid or it doesnt. And in your case, it does. It would be the contacts in the solenoid that carry the starter motor current (not the starter button).

Other thing to check would be the negitive (ground) cable to the back of the engine case. You said you cleaned the calbes and connetions, but soemtimes folks overlook the negitive battery calbe connection to the back of the engine case.

Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2011, 10:52 PM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
        X