Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator/reg,rec problem not in stator papers

Ok,

ran through the stator papers flow chart. Everything checks out. stator output 90vac, reg/rec checks out.

Problem, no output from reg/rec. 6vdc @ idle, 2v @ 5krpm. brand new battery. (Checked output from red reg wire disconnected from harness)

Seems that the stator is braking down under load while connected to reg/rec. Nothing about this in the stator papers. Anyone have any ideas?

Both the reg/rec and fuse box has been switched out with known working units, new wiring harness, good grounds, no corrosion or bad connections.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Originally posted by katman View Post
    Ok,

ran through the stator papers flow chart. Everything checks out. stator output 90vac, reg/rec checks out.

Problem, no output from reg/rec. 6vdc @ idle, 2v @ 5krpm. brand new battery. (Checked output from red reg wire disconnected from harness)

Seems that the stator is braking down under load while connected to reg/rec. Nothing about this in the stator papers. Anyone have any ideas?

Both the reg/rec and fuse box has been switched out with known working units, new wiring harness, good grounds, no corrosion or bad connections.
    All phase A tests are with the R/R connected

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      All phase A tests are with the R/R connected
      And you point would be?
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

And you point would be?

you seem to ahve stated you did disconnected tests; DONT DO THAT OR YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          you seem to ahve stated you did disconnected tests; DONT DO THAT OR YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN
          You are pulling statements out of context. That test was done along with allllllll the others. NOt being an electron, I thought I would list everything done not being sure exactly what was important. I don't like wiring, never did, never will.
          Last edited by katman; 06-16-2011, 04:29 AM.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

You are pulling statements out of context. That test was done along with allllllll the others. NOt being an electron, I thought I would list everything done not being sure exactly what was important. I don't like wiring, never did, never will.
            You don't want to have R/R red wire disconnected from harness/battery or your poor R/R will experience a rude shock as the stator output has no where to go. If you suspect the harness, at least run red wire direct to battery. In your first post, you said the R/R "checks out" -what exactly do you mean?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Katman, Posplayer knows more about these systems than most people on the planet. You might want to listen because you are not getting it. Step back and ask questions so that you are sure you understand what you are reading and the tests you are doing. Not trying to give you a hard time, just good advise.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                Katman, Posplayer knows more about these systems than most people on the planet. You might want to listen because you are not getting it. Step back and ask questions so that you are sure you understand what you are reading and the tests you are doing. Not trying to give you a hard time, just good advise.
                the problem is kinda strange so Rob and I talked a couple hours about grounding his RS's and R/R AFRs or was it........ I dont remember I went to bed

Comment

It seems you have it well in hand. Most people don't seem to pay much attention, but putting stainless steel star washers on both sides of the ground connections greatly simplifies grounding issues by digging into the metal under paint and rust, or even a clean surface, and it doesn't go bad nearly as often as flat connections.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

update:
                    talked to electrosport tech today and this is what he said; its the reg/rec. If the stator is putting out 90vac and there is no ground short it is fine. There is a slight voltage drop at the battery @ 5k so he says that is the RR. problem is, I used 3 different RR's with no change. Ground and Red leads are direct to battery so no corrosion issues. all the terminals are fresh, new, properly crimped connections.

When you have done all the recommended tests and still come up empty, you start doing things that don't make sense, and Jim doesn't mind me giving him a hard time.
                    Step back and ask questions so that you are sure you understand what you are reading and the tests you are doing. Not trying to give you a hard time, just good advise.
                    This is what I did, I am not a wiring expert thats why I posted. The problem continues with three different batteries as well.
                    Jim gave me some good ideas to check which will be done tonight.
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

That would be driving me nuts too. That's a slightly simpler setup than my Compufire. Doesn't seem like there is much room for gremlins in there. Would be real interested in the results.

Comment

You know it. I am looking at a compufire for my bike as well.
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

With the over wound ElectroSport stator and a Compufire I think it would easily run Heated winter gear without a problem. You won't be disappointed with a Compufire at any rate.

Comment

Thanks Jim, turned out to be the stator braking down under load. Buddy bought some resistors and made up a load testing rig and it tested bad. Odd thing is the R/R is good. Told him to call Calgary and kick up a stink to get a new stator. 5,000 miles is unacceptable for a new stator.
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Thanks Jim, turned out to be the stator braking down under load. Buddy bought some resistors and made up a load testing rig and it tested bad. Odd thing is the R/R is good. Told him to call Calgary and kick up a stink to get a new stator. 5,000 miles is unacceptable for a new stator.
                              OH NO ROB, did your Friend burn down the block?????

Thanks Rob, finally some sanity; we have had a couple of members here that think that this is all nonsense and that there is no purpose or reason for dummy load testing.

Last edited by posplayr; 06-23-2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X