Gear Lights; 5th is intermittent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Lights; 5th is intermittent

My gear lights all worked fine a few months ago. However, fifth has stopped working most of the time. If I hit a nice bump while in fifth it starts working again until I cycle through the gears.

I've checked the box the gear lights are in and everything seems fine there. Where else could this be? Where do all of these wires lead? Please tell me someone has pictures and I just missed it in my search.

Thanks!

Hi,

It seems you have a loose connection. If it's not in the gauges themselves then check the selector mechanism down by the gear shift. Reference your service manual and wiring diagram.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by verboseone View Post
      My gear lights all worked fine a few months ago. However, fifth has stopped working most of the time. If I hit a nice bump while in fifth it starts working again until I cycle through the gears.

I've checked the box the gear lights are in and everything seems fine there. Where else could this be? Where do all of these wires lead? Please tell me someone has pictures and I just missed it in my search.

Thanks!
      Well on my 650, the wires lead to a gizmo just below gear shift ( get real low to see). This has got contact points in it that form a ground for lights as you pick different positions. Who needs to know that you're in fifth? or do you have six?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I only have 5 gears. I just find it annoying when something stops working.

Comment

Originally posted by verboseone View Post
          I only have 5 gears. I just find it annoying when something stops working.
          Well, it's 29 years old and that gear change indicator gizmo just might need cleaning or replacement . This is a very common ebay item, if you're convinced that it's not the dash display itself- since 5th lights up sometimes, I think the display is fine, but the bulb could be erratic, cuz it's probably 29 years old too!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X