Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 GS550ES Igniter dead, advice needed please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS550ES Igniter dead, advice needed please!

Hi,

I have a 1985 GS550ES. I was checking the spark today and I decided to use a coil from a Yamanha YZF. Before using it, I checked the primary and secondary resistance and they were slightly off from the original suzuki ones. It began working fine while I was checking for sparks and then suddenly it stopped firing. I tried plugging the stock coils back and also did not get any spark. So now I think my igniter box is dead. I have checked fuses and wires, all is ok.

Could anyone help me locate one? I have tried ebay and google. I have been restoring this bike for 2 years now and I am almost done..
    If locating an igniter seems impossible, could I use a dyna s ds3-2 system instead? I understand that I can wire this system directly to the coils, my only question then is how does the ignition gets advanced since there is now igniter box anymore?

Please any input is welcome. I have been restoring this bike its been 2 years. I had every single metal part sand blasted and powder coated, including the frame. Shes looking awesome, but now I need to figure out these electrical issues.

Victor,
    I can just point you to these threads:

Good luck!

Comment

Do what I am doing get a Dyna 2000 and not have to worry when it will go out again. Everyone on here that has one loves them and say they are worth every penny.

Dyna 2000

Dyna 2000 instructions

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I did do a search before posting on this and I did see the one that adapted a 750 unit by modifying the pick up mount. I dont want to do it that way as I just felt it was too rigged, No offense to anyone please. I just been trying to restore the bike back to its factory specs so I am just trying to keep it as original as possible and clean as well.

I have looked into the Dyna 2000 and I called the guys at Z1 and while speaking to me he told me that they dont have a particular kit that would work with the mid 80's gs since the pickup plate is too large for the engines housing, since the kits they offers are to be used on engines that had the mechanical systems.

However while speaking to him I determined that I could still use the Dyna system on the Gs550 if I made some modifications to the pickup mounting plate and maybe the rotor itself.

Has anyone done this before? Anyone has a mid 1980's GS550 with a dyna 2000 system on it?
        I have access to a machine shop and water jetting, thus I am thinking of buying the kit and designing my own plate and cutting it on the water jet.

Any inputs?

Thanks guys

PS: In the meantime I decided to tear the old igniter unit apart and doing some research I have been able to determine what are the transistors used on the unit. Gonna try replacing them and see if I can revive the unit....

Comment

I dont want to do it that way as I just felt it was too rigged,
          Well I'm not offended but I would like an explanation. Just exactly what do you mean "too rigged"? Are you implying its in anyway faked?

My solution is the nearest thing you will get to a stock setup. They are, afterall, stock Suzuki parts. Once the signal generator cover is back in place, no one would ever be any the wiser.

The other solutions are, of course after market and thus not stock. The dyna "S" in particular requires substantial modifications including retrofitting of a mechanical advancer. Once that is in place the side cover cannot be refitted without a custom made spacer as the rotor and pickup plate extend out too far.

If you want a running bike with a relatively inexpensive solution I'd say mine is the choice to make. Mind you, if you really must have stock you can still pay Suzuki about $690 for a brand spanking new one. Good luck on the used market by the way as we've all searched it.

Best of luck getting it finished off and post some pics please.

Spyug

Comment

The link for the instructions lists yours as one of the models that it will fit. Take a look kit DDK3-2. Dynatek's # is 626-963-1669 I would call them and ask them.

Comment

Hey Spyug,

By no means take offense to what I said please! I do applaud you for being able to figure that one out, I know it takes a lot of trial and error like you had to do until you got it working, so congrats on that. What i meant by rigged was just that I saw that you had to hold down the pickup plate by using some washers and had to cut down some parts of the plate to make it work. I was just a little nervous about the plate vibrating loose and messing things up. But I do applaud you for getting it working.

Jason, The Dyna 2000 DDK3-2 kit should require some modification on the pickup plate and rotor according to Jeff from Z1 enterprises. I will try to get a hold of Dyna directly see what they say.

I do have some good news, I was able to repair my igniter unit!
              It turns out that the main transistors on the unit are also used on yamaha units. So I did some search and found some people that have replaced the transistors themselves. I did that today and I got it working again.
              I used a transistor from radio shack, so not the best option, since what they had there was not sized to what I needed so it gets really hot, but I am ordering the correct one from mouser.com

Either way, here are the specs of the stock transistor used:
              2SD1113(K)Silicon NPN Triple DiffusedApplicationIgniterOutlineTO-220AB1. Base2. Collector(Flange)3. Emitter Datasheet search, datasheets, Datasheet search site for Electronic Components and Semiconductors, integrated circuits, diodes, triacs and other semiconductors.

Following the specs outlined on the spec sheet you can purchase the transistors online on sites like Mouser.com or Newark.com

I did noticed that my spark that I get is not really "meaty", but its the same to what i was getting before, what do you guys recommend for coils replacement?

Thanks a lot guys

PS: In case the transistor mentioned is hard to find, you can look up three other options: TIP150, TIP151, TIP152
              Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Glad you fixed it. I bought 2002 katana coils. Direct fit and cheap on ebay
                1984 GS550ES
                Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
                4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

yeah I ended up buying a set of dyna coils with suppression wires from Z1.
                  I got the 5 ohms one since it is the direct replacement according to Z1 and I decided to go with the suppression wires, so that if I do decide to upgrade to a dyna 2000 later I will be able to still use the coils according to what Z1 had on their site.

But yeah I am really glad I figured out the transistors in the unit.
                  If any of you would like more info on what I did feel free to ask. I think some people may be able to save their transistor units.

Comment

If any of you would like more info on what I did feel free to ask. I think some people may be able to save their transistor units.
                    It would be very helpful if you would do a write up on exactly what transisters you used and what you did to sort it. There have been many folks struggling with this problem recently and it might save a lot of frustration for many and get a few more bikes back on the road.

You may have noticed we are all about trying to help each other out so it would be greatly appreciated. Posting pics also might be helpful if you are able.

cheers,
                    Spyug

Comment

hey, I will definitely post pics.
                      I ordered the correct transistors today and so I will post pics once i get back working on it.
                      I have a test coming up, so ill be away from working on the bike for a few

Hope this can help other people down the road of course

Comment

I went ahead and ordered enough transistors to fix two units.

I wanted to ask if anyone here would happen to have an unit that does NOT work that they would let me have?
                        What I want to do is reverse engineer the circuit, figure out what components go on the board so that anyone can then attempt to fix their unit by replacing the components on their boards.

If anyone has an old not working unit, please PM. I will pay shipping.
                        I am looking for units that go on GS550 to begin with, then once I reverse engineer that one I will attempt other ones.

Of course if I can reverse engineer the unit you provide and I can fix it, I will gladly send it back to you.

Comment

I will gladly send you mine just as soon as our Post Office strike ends and i'll pay the shipping. At the moment nothing is coming in or going out. If you PM me your info I'll box it up and get it ready to go. The strike has been on for a couple of weeks now and we're hoping it won't be too much longer.

Thanks for working on this. as I mentioned there are lots of folks stuck with dead igniters right now and it would be dandy to get a bunch more sorted out.

Cheers,
                          Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by victorgallas View Post
                            hey, I will definitely post pics.
                            I ordered the correct transistors today and so I will post pics once i get back working on it.
                            I have a test coming up, so ill be away from working on the bike for a few

Hope this can help other people down the road of course
                            Looking forward to this. My igniter crapped out as well.

Comment

When your finished why not mount the transistors on the outside and use the case as a heat-sink or make your own heatsink.

That way anyone can change them again and easily troubleshoot them by being able to probe directly on the transistor.

Possibly ad a fuse for each to avoid blowing them again.

One question: How did you take the ignitor apart without damaging anything and getting it clean enough to work with?
                              Stephen.
                              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                              GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X