GS 850 turns over but won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 turns over but won't start

Hey guys, went out to fire up the 1980 850 yesterday. Started right off from cold, rode it only about three miles. Stopped, killed it, tried to restart it, and it would not start. It's turning over, but slower than usual. Can a slightly low battery cause the bike not to start? It sat for about 10 days without being started before all this. Thanks!!!

You need to get to know your 30 year old wiring intimately. Make sure your battery is charged, clean (DeoxIT) your connections and grounds, then start the Stator Papers to begin diagnosing. You may have something as simple as a broken wire. It's impossible to guess without testing.

Yes, a battery can die enough in a 3 mile ride.

The most important thing to know about GS charging systems is that dirty connections kill expensive components. They are not designed fail-safe for dirty connections.
    Last edited by Dogma; 06-18-2011, 11:04 AM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Now that I think of it, the last time I rode it, the bike did the same thing. It turned over and over without catching until the battery drained. But when I hooked up jumper cables from my lawn mover, it fired up immediately. The battery is only about a year old, but I don't think I've maintained it properly. I will run those connections and clean them. What's the best way to deoxify? Scraping, or some sort of chemical? Thanks again!

Comment

Best contact cleaner I've used is Deoxit. Then use dielectric grease when putting back together. For the grounds just use sandpaper to clean them up.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Great! Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Hi,

Have a look at the "Electrical Odds and Ends" section of my little website. The link is in my signature file.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X