Aftermarket signals not blinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket signals not blinking

I snapped off my left rear signal, so rather than trying to search for an original, I went with some aftermarket ones. Got them all wired up. and they come on, but they don't blink, they just stay on. I tried searching, but nothing seemed to match this scenario, so if this has been discussed in the past, my apologies. I'm guessing it has to do with the current draw of the bulbs, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it.

Are these LED or just lower-wattage incandescent?

You can possibly add load resistors or switch to an electronic-type flasher vs. the usual electro-mechanical type.

Probably lots of info through the forum search.

Comment

If you are running the stock flasher unit, just replace it with a old-school round automotive mechanicl flasher. Just a couple bucks anywhere....
      Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
        Are these LED or just lower-wattage incandescent?

You can possibly add load resistors or switch to an electronic-type flasher vs. the usual electro-mechanical type.

Probably lots of info through the forum search.
        Not LED, so presumably the latter. I'll do some more digging through the archives. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wazz View Post
          If you are running the stock flasher unit, just replace it with a old-school round automotive mechanicl flasher. Just a couple bucks anywhere....
          Something like this?

Comment

Yes, simple old-school 2 blade flasher unit.
            Why this works I don't recall, but it did for a couple of my bikes with small aftermarket signals.

(should be cheaper than the Amazon price....)

-greg
            Last edited by wazz; 06-20-2011, 02:06 PM.
            Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

Originally posted by wazz View Post
              Yes, simple old-school 3 blade flasher unit.
              Why this works I don't recall, but it did for a couple of my bikes with small aftermarket signals.

(should be cheaper than the Amazon price....)

-greg
              I looked at AutoZone and Advance Auto and a couple other places' sites, but don't see anything that isn't more than I care to spend.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, one of those cheap 2-prong can flashers should fit in the stock socket and work OK. But you'll lose the self-cancelling feature of the blinkers, if you had it. A Tridon 552 or 522 has been reported to work well.

These are really cheap, $2-$5.

I spent $10 on my flasher. You can read about it on my little website: Turn Signal Relay Replacement.Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

Yes, one of those cheap 2-prong can flashers should fit in the stock socket and work OK. But you'll lose the self-cancelling feature of the blinkers, if you had it. A Tridon 552 or 522 has been reported to work well.

These are really cheap, $2-$5.

I spent $10 on my flasher. You can read about it on my little website: Turn Signal Relay Replacement.Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Awesome. Doesn't look like the auto parts stores carry that, but it's on Amazon for $5. Think I might just replace my tail light too, since it looks large and out of place with the new smaller signals on.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Oddly enough, rode to work this morning and the signals worked just fine.

Only thing I can think of is the battery was a bit low when I installed them and once I fired the engine, that charged the battery back up enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Think I might just replace my tail light too, since it looks large and out of place with the new smaller signals on.
                      "Large and out of place"?

Do you ever have anyone behind you in traffic?

Hope they can see your new tiny little light.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oddly enough, rode to work this morning and the signals worked just fine.

Only thing I can think of is the battery was a bit low when I installed them and once I fired the engine, that charged the battery back up enough.
                        They wont work for good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                          They wont work for good though.
                          Any more information, or are you just being a Negative Nancy?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            "Large and out of place"?

Do you ever have anyone behind you in traffic?

Hope they can see your new tiny little light.

Smaller doesn't mean not brighter

Comment

Smaller doesn't mean not brighter

I bought some aftermarket blinkers from ebay a few years ago. I never installed them on the 850 because they were just too small to not seem out of place. I just installed them on my bandit and they are significantly brighter. soooo smaller doesn't mean they aren't brighter too!

Comment

Working...
                              X