Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When igition swich in lock position tailight on??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When igition swich in lock position tailight on??

So I have had my old Gs850g for a few months but only recently able to ride ( no thanks to Speed Kings in Tampa,Fl) keeping it for almost 4 months and over charging me ) , but .. I rode to work and when i parked in the parking lot i turned the key to the "lock" position to lock the handlebars to one side , I came out about and hour later to check for gas leaks etc.. and noticed the tailight was on??, I turned the key to the off position and light went out / any ideas??
    ?

i think there is 2 lock positions on the switch. one is just to lock it and is other is a lock and park position. which turns the light on, if you were parked in a place which people needed to see the bike, say on a roadside or similar.
    may be wrong though
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If you turn your key to the right to lock the forks, it turns on the tailight as a [battery draining] parking light. Turn it to the left to lock the forks, there should be no lights on (this is just past the "off" position).

Comment

Hi,

Please visit my little website and download an Owner's Manual and a Service Manual for your bike. They will answer a lot of questions for you, plus that are very handy references.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

More important, when you turn the key to the left and lock it, far from home, and the lock jams up, never to unlock again, make sure you have the tools and the know-how to remove the ignition/lock and bypass the switch...

Just sayin'...it's happened to many of us.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            More important, when you turn the key to the left and lock it, far from home, and the lock jams up, never to unlock again, make sure you have the tools and the know-how to remove the ignition/lock and bypass the switch...

Well, are you cheerful!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Well, are you cheerful!

I think it's more of a word of caution due to past experiences.

Clockwise will be ''park'' with the light, counter-clockwise PAST off will be the lock position.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

Mine used to do that ... the worst time took me like 45 minutes to get it unlocked again.
                Then I had a new key cut using the "numbers" on the lock. now it works on all positions with no worries.

Comment

Those of you who have issues with your ignition switches getting stuck might benefit from looking at this...

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                    Mine used to do that ... the worst time took me like 45 minutes to get it unlocked again.
                    Then I had a new key cut using the "numbers" on the lock. now it works on all positions with no worries.
                    That's what I do - get a new key based on numbers. Does anyone actually use the locked/taillight on position?
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                      Tried that...once mine stuck, it was done...still have it, still locked....
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

That's what I do - get a new key based on numbers. Does anyone actually use the locked/taillight on position?
                        Nope. My 67 T200 had it also. Never used it, why should I? Possibly a federal requirement, nothing more.

Comment

I use the locked position if I have to park someplace dicey ...

If a thief is motivated enough they could still steal it, but if the steerings locked hard over they aren't going to be pushing/rolling it away or up on a trailer ...

Comment

I use it when I park at work. My co-workers liked to do stupid stuff like risk losing their lives by moving my bike. I work at a different place now and I am security there so no one messes with my stuff. It's a secure facility anyway.

Comment

bakalorz, mighty13d, this discussion is about the 2nd locked position. I use the normal locked position (fully counterclockwise) when I do not want it moved. However, if you rotate the key fully clockwise, you can still remove the key, the steering stem is locked, but the taillight is on. This is the 2nd locked position and is seldom used.

Comment

Working...
                              X